What is a reseller account

jag5311

Perch
sorry if this is a newbie question, but I have to ask.

What is a reseller account?

Is a reseller account basically where I, the owner of the account, could then tell clients that I have a hosting solution and I charge them for the hosting, but in the end, I pay , lets say, $35/ month to jodohost for one of their packages, but in the end, its a way for me to make money from my clients?

Is that correct or am I way off base.

And if this is correct, what is the benefit of going with a dedicated server in this situation.

Thanks
Bryan

That sounds about right. You buy resources in bulk and sell them off to your own customers, hopefully making a profit. You provide the support for the customers (though JodoHost will offer a way for you to outsource that to them as well soon).

Dedicated servers are probrably not a good idea for reselling purposes unless you have an awful lot of customers.

Well, support in terms of email, ftp, etc..., but with coldfusion and jodohost, I always have to let them know to make a DSN for me on their end, so I assume that would be the same. I get a new client, I set them up with their domain name, email, ftp, etc... and then if they require a coldfusion connection, then I let jodohost know, right?

How would this "outsourcing work"?

Of course, anything you can't do yourself you bug JH with :)
The anonymous 24/7 support for resellers thing is still being worked on, so I can't say much about that :p

Ok, another question :)

I was reading this tutorial, http://www.jodohost.com/stepbystep.asp and when it came down to the expenses, I kinda got confused.

Lets say that I, hypothetically, created a reseller account with Jodohost, the $35 silver plan.

So then Client "A" and I start talking and she wants a website done. No problem I say, and hosting... no problem I say. I have a great host I use and it will cost $10.99 a month (because I set my own price, right?). I will set everything up, etc....

Now, are the finances you see in the reseller control panel just for visual sake, or does the client you signed up for hosting actually get a bill from Jodohost? OR, do I have to bill the client seperately and handle the finances myself?

If the case is you do the finances yourself, do you guys/gals usually just build the hosting into your overall package, or do you keep it as a seperate entity monthly?

Thanks

Your best bet is to get your own merchant account from authorize.net. You can add it easily into H-Sphere to automatically bill customers. You can use PayPal too, but I wouldn't rely on it solely, if for no other reason than it's kind of ghetto for a business not to accept credit cards directly. :D

If you're just using visa/mc the base monthly fee is around $25. There are also one-time setup fees and you should shop around because those can vary wildly. Here's where I signed up:

http://www.northernmerchant.com/rates.html

Is 2checkout.com good? Because I think Authorize.net is costly and NMSI is complicated. There are so many fees involve in a transaction while 2checkout is very simple but there must be some disadvantages of it? I haven't used any so I can't tell but I am sure there are some features in other providers which 2checkout doesn't have. Can anyone tell me?

2checkout is alright, the fees are a bit high, but it is super easyto get started.

It can not be as integrated as a true merchant account because of the fact that it simply is not one.

2CheckOut is an option you can explore. As far as feature comparison is concerned, it is really unfair to compare 2CO with so many other providers.

The important thing is checking the suitability of a perticular provider according to your requirements. Because this is the only criteria that gives you clear picture about the features that you need and will help you to grow.

Features, which are good but are unsuitable for you are useless, even if they are cheaper ;)

Select a few popular ones, and then do a little research. You will get, what is best for you.

With the monthly minimum and per-usage fees I end up paying a little less than $30 per month for my authorize.net account. The only large expense is if you have to pay a setup fee to a reseller who signs you up. But as with most setup fees, there is hardly any "setup" involved. Here's a no-fee agent I found: http://www.freeauthnet.com/

A Reseller at JODOHOST is a person who bills and
supports his or her own web hosting clients. You purchase our
hosting accounts at a discounted price and resell them to your
customers at your own price. You are in control of your site
and your customers. We become invisible to your clients.

Since you have Your custmised DNS server with the name ns.your domain.com and all server aliases with your domain name.

8)

maheep said:
supports his or her own web hosting clients. You purchase our
hosting accounts at a discounted price and resell them to your
customers at your own price.

just a slight correction there. You get bulk resources at a discounted price which you can use to create your own packages to sell to your customers at your own price

You do not resell our shared hosting plans. You can create totally different plans of your choosing

Back