What is your favorite programming language?

Well I voted C++, since this is what I do for living and like it. But it really depends on what kind of application I do. Program for Windows - then certainly C++, but if we are talking about Web, then ASP.NET/C# or pure ASP/VBScript

I liked the option "copy paste", though most of problems and bugs come from using this way :)

But, hmm... since when XML is counted as a programming language? :) Well if you mean XML/XSL, then ... uhmmm.... still not sure, but yeah, kinda. Maybe it is a "C++ programmer" point of view, but I can't count XML/XSL, as well as HTML, CSS as programming languages.. I think they are more "drawing" tools, lol

StPatrick said:
I can't count XML/XSL, as well as HTML, CSS as programming languages.. I think they are more "drawing" tools, lol

Well, if you were a beginner, HTML would be your programming language! :tongue:

Frater L.V.X. said:
I think alot of it is oriented on which is your base language you are most efficient with, alot of VB upstarts would probably prefer ASP, while those whom invested development heavily in C or C++ would prefer PERL or PHP.
Well, maybe, though I tried Perl and Php, didn't liked them much though. On the first plan - I don't like variables that you can use without previously declaring them. Yes, in VBScript there is the same way, but I always have Option Explicit in all my scripts :) Also, I stick with MS technologies and (don't want to start another Linux vs. Windows battle :) ) I hate Linux, lol.

Frater L.V.X. said:
From that avatar of yours, are you an RPG gamer by any chance? Grats on the 100th+ post Lord Patrick lol.
Thanx :) Yes, I used to be. But now only playing RPG computer games. In the past I liked and played Ultima Online, Utopia, and many other on-line RPG games, don't even remember their names. Though MUX and MUSH games didn't like. But in computer games Heroes of Might and Magic (as a strategy), Morrowind, Gothic I and II are still my favorits :)

StPatrick said:
I liked the option "copy paste", though most of problems and bugs come from using this way :)

After learning a couple dozen languages over the past 20 years, I have found that ?Copy And Paste? is an essential subset of ALL programming languages and is probably the most often used. :)

I voted for .NET. So far, there are 2 of us in the poll. I wonder, who is the other? (just curious)

riley said:
I voted for .NET. So far, there are 2 of us in the poll. I wonder, who is the other? (just curious)
Well, not me, though I would vote if there was a multiple choice, lol. At the end, ASP.NET/C# is what I'm trying (read: learning) right now 8)

StPatrick said:
Well, not me, though I would vote if there was a multiple choice, lol. At the end, ASP.NET/C# is what I'm trying (read: learning) right now 8)

Once you get into it, you'll love it. Many people I talk to agree that the difference between ASP 3 and ASP.NET is like the difference between QuickBasic and VB6 (Turbo C and Visual C++ for all you C guys). It goes well beyond being a significant advancement...

riley said:
Once you get into it, you'll love it. Many people I talk to agree that the difference between ASP 3 and ASP.NET is like the difference between QuickBasic and VB6 (Turbo C and Visual C++ for all you C guys). It goes well beyond being a significant advancement...
Well yeah, agreed, and you are right - I already love it :) Very powerful thing, yet very easy.

Funny, I though there would be more PHP fans, but I suppose most people are at JodoHost for their windows plans.

I personally believe each language has it's own set of strengths and weaknesses. For my little application cEdit I used delphi. It works well for windows applications of that nature. A lot better than visual basic, and no harder to make use of. C++ could do as well, perhaps mildly better for the app but it would take immensly longer to write.

For the few small games I've written they've all been in C++. It's got great support for directx, and it's fast with math.

I do accasionally use visual basic, a lot of times to right plugin's for other applications as for this purpose it serves the purpose relativly easily, especially in that it's such a commonly used language most apps supporting plugins have a vb class available as a framework for a plugin.

For web programming I do prefer PHP to asp but asp does the job well enough. But remind me to never try php on windows again it's a major headache :) I'll stick to asp on windows and php on nix from now on :)

.NET is nice, but I don't think it's the right time to make use of it for applications. When most users have the .net framework on their system and can run the apps without downloading a 30MB installer I'll consider it the right time, but as it stands unless I'm already talking a pretty seriously intense app I don't want to bogg down my users with that overhead.

Flash is great for movies and little games but I don't think it's ever gonna become a serious language. Maybe I'm wrong but I think it's to slow :)

XML is a language? Hell I thought it was for storing data more than anything ?????

Perl/CGI had it's day and it's gone. It was for a long time the only real server side scripting language. Long before asp, or php existed perl drove major websites. But now php and asp are around and frankly their a lot more powerful.

And yes copy and paste. True true as someone said before. This is truly a subset of all languages, and used more regularly than just about anything else. I think I copied and pasted about 100 times in 2 hours working on my app today :)

Enjoy all :)

I think Stewart just pointed all my thoughts, lol. Delphi... well Pascal was the first language I programmed (except Basic, but it was in school, so doesn't count :) ). Then Delphi, which was my favorite for several years, since Delphi 1 to Delphi 4, until I found a job as a C++ programmer, thus no time for Delphi now. Pity :( I still think Delphi is a great product, easy to use like VB and powerfull enough, like C++

Back