Where and with who does this error rest with

AndyLL

Perch
I have a domain: www.disneymouselinks.com

I have a subdomain: mb.disneymouselinks.com

They both work fine. The problem is if I type in any other variant of the subdomain name...

mp.disneymouselinks.com
aa.disneymouselinks.com

then I'm on another site completely.

I assume this behavior is incorrect but would this be a jodo issue?

Andy

This is affecting all sites on win5 (at least), and it's down to JH. It's looks really unprofessional if someone mistypes a domain name, like 'ww.' instead of 'www.'.
They had this problem before and it was fixed. It needs fixed again.

bro,

I dont think its to do with Jodo.
Wouldnt that have something to do with your Registrar?

I think hsphere configures wild records on dns by default. Please someone from Jodo correct me if Im wrong.
And if its right, then they should NOT point to another site.

curious...

Underdog said:
I dont think its to do with Jodo.
Wouldnt that have something to do with your Registrar?

no, it only happens on domains on win5 as far as I can see, and it happens with domains registered with different registrars. It was like this a year or so ago, and JH fixed it then. The setup for the domains I noticed it on then haven't been changed in any way.

Underdog said:
I think hsphere configures wild records on dns by default. Please someone from Jodo correct me if Im wrong.
And if its right, then they should NOT point to another site.
curious...

If so, it's not working.

This is something with hsphere that sometimes for no reason createsa site on a shared ip with a hostheader that is empty(like a dedicated IP), odd thing is, it has only happened on win5, and only win5. It is resolved now.

thanks.
Is there any way we can get this to point to a site-specific error page (like a 404 page for unspecified subdomains) ?

Make such a page, and I will consider setting one up for that, but make it very generic.

I will need to see what is made first, some might prefer just not having a page load.

Stephen said:
Make such a page, and I will consider setting one up for that, but make it very generic.

I will need to see what is made first, some might prefer just not having a page load.

Not quite what I meant. I was wondering if there was some way we could redirect a missing subdomain error to our own custom error pages. i.e. one for each domain name, not a generic one for the whole server.

Still, you could try this:
http://www.weedaveshouse.com/missing.html

:D

bro said:
thanks.
Is there any way we can get this to point to a site-specific error page (like a 404 page for unspecified subdomains) ?

On some of my other domains a unspecified subdomain redirects to the main domain.

On this one the original error is fixed but a unspecified subdomain gives a 403.

i.e. mp.disneymouselinks.com

Will a custom 403 error page on the main domain handle that?

Andy

Sometimes that is registrars DNS pointing to you, it happens quite regularly on new domains or newly signed up plans with a dedicated IP. Sometimes it even happens when we get our ARIN allocations, the previous netblock owners stil have domains pointing to their former IPs, quite interesting.

Back