Which Linux Distribution for newbie

Ok, thinking about installing Linux on an AMD x64 3000 based unit. Never installed linux before (Windows guy), but want to find the cleanest and best distribution that will automate most everything.

The primary purpose is to be a web server behind a firewall. There outside world will be able to get to the server via http and that is it.

Thanks for your input!!!

If you are just starting go unbuntu or kubuntu for sure the most polished free distro out there.

I used to buy SuSE but have not since kubuntu has been around. I have it on my powerpc mac mini because mac os X just sucks. Stay away from fedora, it is always in a state of flux, ubuntu has solid financial and support backing and I don't see it going anywhere soon. It also has great backing from schools and governments in Africa.

Thanks for the reply... I am thinking of trying a 64 bit version and I hear the OpenSuse 10.1 does this. I will probably try the ones you suggested first for fun and then try the 64bit later.

Thanks.

11 Mar 07
I know this is an old thread, but for my 2 cents worth, I agree with Stephen. I now have my laptop dual booting into either XP or Ubuntu. The Ubuntu has the option of either the Gnome or Kde window managers. I also installed the Beryl 3D eye candy machine which is really great and lots of fun - probably knocks Vista for 6 in the effects department. Also, my ethernet port and and wifi worked straight off in Ubuntu which is a major headache avoided.
On a spare PC at home I've got a quadruple booting setup - Win98 (for all those old games), XP, Ubuntu and SuSE. But between SuSE and Ubuntu my vote is for Ubuntu - seems more stable and hardly any configuration snags at all.
By the way, here in England we jave a monthly mag called Linux Format which I subscribe to - it's packed full of hugely good stuff and the editorial team really know their stuff. A tad expensive, but worth it if you are serious about getting to know Linux. There is also the Mono framework which allows .net development in Linux, but I haven't worked with it yet.They do overseas subscriptions throughout the empire too. Now that Vista is out, I'll probably wait to buy a new PC rather than upgrading - trouble is I fancy a Mac (never used a Mac ever!) especially as they can be made to dual/triple boot. Rather expensive though. My next mini project is to install Linux on a USB stick since they're so cheap now, and then boot the laptop from it - insurance for when all the tinkering goes up the swanee.
PS There's a new Ununto due in Apr 07, called Feisty Fawn (I suppose the one after that will be called Gawping Geek!!)

Back