Why do some webhosts not allow EM?

ASPMan

Guppy
I know a friend who is currently being hosted with a windows host that doesn't allow Enterprise Manager access to his SQL database. I don't understand why companies restrict such access. I'm glad JodoHost doesn't and he should be signing up here soon but I still don't get it.... They don't even have any option to pay and get Enterprise Manager access. Its such a problem to move web hosts

Can't say. My guess would be that they are using a Client-Limited version of MS SQL. We license per processor which means unlimited client access. The price differences are steep. The edition we run costs $3000 per processor while the Client limited edition can be bought for under $800 if I'm not wrong

Yeah license could be one of the reasons due to which they do not allow EM. One of my friend's site is hosted with a company who claims to be the number 1 host in Europe and they don't allow EM :evil: . They don't even provide a web based manager or anything like that and if you want to create tables, relationships then do it through script like ASP. My friend doesn't like it at all and is planning to move. When asked about this, the company said that due to security reasons they don't allow EM. What a joke! it is just rubbish!
It is like giving someone a brand new sports car without the steering. X(

I believe it is illegal to run the client-limited version of MS SQL as a service provider (according to Microsoft's Product agreement)

Yash said:
I believe it is illegal to run the client-limited version of MS SQL as a service provider (according to Microsoft's Product agreement)

That's exactly what I thought. Worked for a hosting company myself

aliweb said:
One of my friend's site is hosted with a company who claims to be the number 1 host in Europe and they don't allow EM X(

We left 1and1 (the company you refer to) for the same reason - to maintain (and load) a big MSSQL based solution through vbscripts and upload of mdb-files is just not working. For a company with 19,000 servers and 2.5 million customers they are incredible inflexible. The only attraction is their cheap dotnet windows 2003 servers starting at $55/month (comes only with MSDE - no SQL server to rent).
Interestingly, they are entering the US market right now with big bravado and free hosting offers - but beware... 8o
Fortunately, Jodohost is moving to Europe shortly (so I was told by customer support) and thats pretty cool if you live in Europe 8)

Niels,
Brussels, Europe

Back