Win 5 performance

Dave

Perch
Has anyone else on Win5 been experiencing erratic performance levels? For the last week to 10 days my site goes from running reasonably fast to being very sluggish on a fairly regular basis. Sometimes it can take anywhere up to a minute to respond, but then seems fine for a while. I was hoping it would clear up on its own, but so far it's been consistent in it's erratic behaviour.

How many sites are on Win5? Maybe it's getting too overloaded.

Dave, sites haven't been added to win5 in a long time now, no sites are being added, so that is not the cause.

Whenever you notice such an issue, please report it to us immediately via a ticket

We do monitor the servers. What is most likely happening here is some customer is running some odd script at an unusual time which we need to track down.

No customer has been added to Win5 since October, 2004.

This should be better now, I moved some heavy traffic ASP based sites around.

The new sites theory was just a guess. I have reported this kind of problem numerous times in the past. The answer I normally get is something along the lines of "Checked the site, runs fine. Please contact us for further assistance." That's why I thought I'd see if anyone else was affected first.

Stephen said:
This should be better now, I moved some heavy traffic ASP based sites around.
OK, great! I've been getting user complaints, so this will make them happy (as well as me!).

Just to follow up here, I have been watching win5, I see a series of one person sites running the same scripts right now. I am having to move them because they are using way too much CPU, I will keep an eye on it and if it continues we will have to take further steps.

I replied, I was just moving isolation levels of sites anyway, not any files or actual servers.

But you need to submit a ticket for that, as we will need to get 2 people on it, it's a complex operation.

Stephen, over the last few days, like Dave, I have noticed Win5 being very slow. Many times I get a time out script error, and many of my users are reporting problems and an almost unusable site.

Please advise.

Thanks

Nathan

The number of websites on win5 has been very stable for months, it just seems like everyone is starting to get a lot of traffic. I just loaded one of you pages and it has over 100 other people on it, and another has over 400 on.
Most of these high traffic sites are already in high isolation, and should not affect each other.

The page of yours I loaded up loaded in less than one second, except for some of the images, of which together add up to over 100kb, so it is understandable.

Can you send me a PM with a link regularly timing out?

I will keep monitoring it(I hadn't today as I am off, but I saw the post and wanted to let you know I am watching it now).

Win 5 has been stuttering again late last night and early this morning (GMT+2). Some pages (not any particular ones) just timeout and only half load. It's anoying, but doesn't concern me too much.

You mention:
"Most of these high traffic sites are already in high isolation, and should not affect each other."

What does this mean?

Good news for you, as I use loads of bandwidth!
"I just loaded one of your pages and it has over 100 other people on it, and another has over 400 on."

Cheers mate and enjoy your day off. :]

Nathan

Nathan,

I loaded two of your sites that I know of.
Both loaded in sub second times, one was even a forums subpage with WWG forums.

Can you give me, or Yash, the page you are seeing most slowly loading.

Could you also send us a traceroute to the server so we can see if we need to contact level3 about this?

Suppose I go with the LiteHost plan, get about 12 of my small time customers on it - then a couple of them get very hot and eat up my 30 GB monthly transfer half way thru the month (Is this the rate limiting step? ,ie monthly transfer and not CPU time ) How do I tell which customers need to pay me more to upgrade their accounts?

Yash, thanks for your concern.

It seems that pages that depend on my MS SQL database are having problems. This page repeatedly is timming out:

http://www.agni.gr/message_boards/default.asp

Error message as follows:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionRead (WrapperRead()).]General network error. Check your network documentation.

/message_boards/default.asp, line 308

Once I get home (at work at the moment - AND it's a Sunday!), I'll go through the code just to make sure that everything is OK. I haven't changed the page in ages though.

Thanks again.

Nathan

www.agni.gr

ricka0,

We are not really rate limiting, the win5 server is a windows 2000 machine and we are moving them from the medium pooled to high isolation. We don't add any additional limits, but prevent them from crashing the system as a whole if an item/page gets in a loop or otherise hangs.

Thanks Stephen. I have added the following to the top of all my scripts (glad I use include files!)

Command.CommandTimeOut = 60

My members all day have been complaining of server speed, so I hope this helps.

Nathan

Stephen, All seems perfect now and Win5 is running like a train. I'll let you know if I have any probs.

Cheers mate,

Nathan

Back