win1 dead slow

Yes, someone was abusing this server. Usage was at 100% for periods upto 10 minutes (I have never seen abuse like this before). Took awhile to trace this person. We were finally able to zoom into his dedicated IP and disabled it from the NIC. Hopefully, that is the end of it. This appears to be the guy who was abusing the server on previous occasions (but we weren't able to trace)

Well, since last week we have installed an ISAPI dll that actually allows us to see all active requests coming into IIS. We then try disabling websites that have active requests and see which one brings down usage. Once we are able to determine which site is responsible, we run some more tests to make sure we ae absolutely sure. For example, we try throttling bandwidth and restricting connections to it.

With this customer, we had to kill asp.net (he was running an asp.net application) every 60 seconds to be able to work on the server because the usage was so bad. Whenever his IP was accessed, the usage went back to 100%. Since he was on a dedicated IP, we couldn't determine which website was his (requests were not marked) so we had to just unbind his IP from the NIC. Now the tough part is trying to find out who this customer was.

We waste so much time in handling abuse. If only customers understood how crippling their code can be on the servers if poorly written

Yash said:
Usage on Win1 is 5% now :)

Thanks Yash. I was wondering if you had created a policy on how to handle these problems? How are you dealing with that guy's account in this case?

brawney said:
Thanks Yash. I was wondering if you had created a policy on how to handle these problems? How are you dealing with that guy's account in this case?

We actually have updated our TOS which would be online later this week

If the abuse isn't serious enough, we give the customer a 24 hour period to replace his website with a "We'll be back message". After that, the customer is free to try correcting the problem or moving to another host (within the amount of time left in his or her billing period). But if the abuse continues even after the 24 hour period, we'd disable the customer's site.

If the abuse is serious (it was crippling in this case), we disable first and then inform the customer. The customer can replace his site with a "We'll be Back soon" message and we'll enable it again. He has then the option to look for another host or try correcting the problem (within the amount of time left in his or her billing period)

Yep, that's what I really like about JodoHost. They really get onto these issues very fast and solve them. I was with WebHost4Life for sometime and I saw similar slow down from time to time. Reported it several times but their support person didn't have a clue.

FreeWilly said:
Yep, that's what I really like about JodoHost. They really get onto these issues very fast and solve them. I was with WebHost4Life for sometime and I saw similar slow down from time to time. Reported it several times but their support person didn't have a clue.

I agree and I appreciate their efforts to keep all of us up and running.

Yash, this sounds like a good plan to me. My only concern was when you were shutting people down and telling them to find another host and not giving them a chance to fix their problem.

One thought/suggestion would be instead of shutting down their site (in the case of serious abuse) maybe putting a page up (or redirecting the visitor to one of your sites/pages) that says they're having technical difficulties and have been notified, etc. This would be friendlier than just a web site that no longer exists.

Yash said:
We actually have updated our TOS which would be online later this week

If the abuse isn't serious enough, we give the customer a 24 hour period to replace his website with a "We'll be back message". After that, the customer is free to try correcting the problem or moving to another host (within the amount of time left in his or her billing period). But if the abuse continues even after the 24 hour period, we'd disable the customer's site.

If the abuse is serious (it was crippling in this case), we disable first and then inform the customer. The customer can replace his site with a "We'll be Back soon" message and we'll enable it again. He has then the option to look for another host or try correcting the problem (within the amount of time left in his or her billing period)

Back