Win1 is very slow

riley

Perch
Win1 is running really, really slow (~8:15PM EDT).
Any idea why?

Also, when is jodohost going to migrate win1 to the win5 server?

riley

Win1, Win2 and Win4 are Windows 2003 servers and are on different network. We certainly want to move all customers on these servers to the same network running Windows 2000. We have put this decision on hold due too many things happening at the same time.

However we can move your account immediately to different server. Please write to [email protected]

atulkumar said:
Win1, Win2 and Win4 are Windows 2003 servers and are on different network. We certainly want to move all customers on these servers to the same network running Windows 2000. We have put this decision on hold due too many things happening at the same time.

However we can move your account immediately to different server. Please write to [email protected]

I don't want to have to upload and configure all my sites again, create mailboxes, and deal with dns propagation issues. I remember the move TO win1 last year, and I'm not in a hurry to do that again. All day Friday, pages that typically load in less than a second took in excess of 30 seconds to load -- some up to 1 minute. That's unacceptable.

I'm really concerned that if I move my sites, many of the things that are working now will stop working and I'll have to spend days (or weeks) trying to get them working again. And if I moved my sites now, I would be the poor sap who would be working all the bugs out of the new version of control panel, which we know has problems. I think I've been through enough changes in the last few months.

I'm very disappointed that you have decided to put the win1 migration on hold. Frankly, I think solving the win1 performance problem is quite a bit more important than installing a new version of control panel. But that could just be because I'm on win1...

riley

atulkumar said:
Win1, Win2 and Win4 are Windows 2003 servers and are on different network.

Well, I don't know what the problem is, but right now (2:45AM EDT) win1 is not a viable server. I can't say it's dead, but it might as well be. My web pages load like they are loading through a 1200baud modem. I just tried to ftp an 8Kb file and the operation timed out after 2 minutes.

What I find really aggravating is that I would have moved my sites 2 weeks ago the last time this came up, but I decided I would wait for the win1 migration, which was estimated to take place right about now. Now you tell me the migration has been put on hold. That's just great.

Right now, I don't give a rats a** what server software win1 is running or what network it's on, IT ISN'T WORKING!

Please fix it.

riley

riley, as soon as you notice any slowness, report it through the ticket system and mark it as *emergency*

The problem with doing this on the forum is that I or Atul are not on the forum 24 hours a day to monitor these complaints.. But if you report it through the ticket system, an administrator will log into the server right away and check the problem

One major problem about these temporary slow downs on Win1 is that we need to be on the server while its happening to diagnose it.

Currently, Win1 is the only server experiencing periodical slowness. The other servers are fine. I suggest you request your account to be shifted to a dual processor system immediately. Nothing has to be done on your part. The only thing you may have to change is C:\hshome to D:\hshome if you have hard-coded system paths

This is not a migration, this is an automated account shift performed by the system.

Yash said:
... Nothing has to be done on your part. The only thing you may have to change is C:\hshome to D:\hshome if you have hard-coded system paths

This is not a migration, this is an automated account shift performed by the system.

Can you guarantee that nothing will change? I'm not happy with my Raw Log files since the new cp install. Can you guarantee that if you shift my account, the log files will at least contain what they have now? If they don't, it seems you wont be able to fix it, since you can't address the log file issues I have now.

If you can guarantee that NOTHING will change except the path and there will be NO downtime/delays/dns issues/etc., I will do it right now.

riley

If you want to move your account to another server, the log files will be reset. If your ISP is caching the DNS record of your site, it may become inaccessible to you for about 12 hours because of the IP change. But that would only affect you.

riley, we rely heavily on customer reporting to tackle "slowness" issues. All you need to do is report it correctly

Every host has occasional slow dows on their servers.. We have this issue on just one server, win1 and it needs to be reported immediately to us if it needs to be solved

Yash said:
If you want to move your account to another server, the log files will be reset.

By reset, I assume you mean that logging will start fresh to a new log file. That's fine; I would expect that. But I want to know if the log file will contain the same fields it does now. I had some fields added a couple months ago and I don't want them to go away. With the new logging scheme in the new version of the cp, can you tell me with certainty that if the fields aren't there after the move, you add them again?

Yash said:
If your ISP is caching the DNS record of your site, it may become inaccessible to you for about 12 hours because of the IP change. But that would only affect you.

Wouldn't this also affect any visitor whose ISP caches DNS records?

When you say "inaccessible" do you mean that literally, or is the old site shown until the ISP's cache is updated?

riley

Out of a sense of fairness I feel I must post this:
Win1 slowed to a crawl again at about 1:30PM EDT. I opened a ticket marked emergency and the problem was resolved in a matter of 1 or 2 minutes.
Well done and thank you.

Yash, please don't forget to reply to my previous post.

riley

1) visitors who visit your site frequently will most likely have this issue where their ISP may cache your website's A record (or IP address)

2) In the case of ISP caching, visitors will get a "Under Construction message"

Yash said:
1) visitors who visit your site frequently will most likely have this issue where their ISP may cache your website's A record (or IP address)

2) In the case of ISP caching, visitors will get a "Under Construction message"

Well, the next week or two are a very critical time during which clients will be retrieving documents from one of my sites and, therefore, I can't afford such a situation. I guess I'll have to bear with the problem until site availablility is less critical, or until jodohost migrates win1 to another server -- whichever happens first.

Another frustrating part about this is that these slow-downs come and go. By the time I create a ticket and somebody reads it, the server is running normally again. You told me to report such slow-downs via a ticket, because you rely on that to know when there are problems. But, to my amazement, your support people don't seem to believe it. Here is a response I got to a ticket I opened earlier this evening:

[May 9, 2004 10:00:51 PM]
A: Hi,
Win1 is working absolutely fine. We have heard no problems from our other win1 customers except form you. Please check it again at your end and if the issue persists then reply us back.

Best Regards

Well, yes, it was working fine by the time he/she looked at it, but it wasn't earlier. Should I continue to open tickets when I find win1 is creeping along?

riley

We are monitoring Win1 as well closely now.
But please keep reporting any slowness by the ticket system as you are doing..

Out of a 24 hour day, this is probably happening for 5 to 10 minutes at most according to the logs. But we are on it...

Yash said:
We are monitoring Win1 as well closely now.
But please keep reporting any slowness by the ticket system as you are doing..

I will do so.

Yash said:
Out of a 24 hour day, this is probably happening for 5 to 10 minutes at most according to the logs. But we are on it...

It was much more than 5 or 10 minutes Friday night, but I agree that nomally the overall amout of time this happens is quite limited. But when it does, the server becomes pretty much unusable.

riley

Back