Win2 Crash Aftermath

golden-net

Killer Whale
Can anyone explain how, when the server (Win X( X( X( 2)was restored from a backup, how comes:

1, all and any Frontpage navigation on sites was destroyed

2, all and any redirects from site to site were destroyed

3, my will to live repairing that mass of trouble was destroyed

?(

You may also want to check and make sure that your private SSL certs were properly restored - I ran into this problem with the restore.

Actually with the redirects they appear on the control panel as being there, but no longer work. So you have to delete the redirect and then reapply it - terrific fun when you have 20 or 30 to do.

X(

The only good news being the number of customers I lost meant there was a lot less to do!

Well to play devil's advocate: Hardware failures are inevitable and the fact that Jodohost staff were able to restore the server quickly from a 20 MINUTE old backup quickly was remarkable. Unfortunately a few glitches are normally the nature of the beast and something that we as resellers really should be on top of - I mean, we do have to add some value to our clients don't we?

In regards to FP navigation, it will corrupt on its own regularly, I moved my own mom away from using the frontpage extensions for good, now she uploads with FTP,and the amazing thing is that the code is cleaner and the sites work far better!

First of all I must say I use Dreamweaver for all new sites now - have done for some time. However, I used to use Frontpage for all sites - mainly because it was (and still is) the quickest method of building and publishing a site, along with a built in navigation system, so that 50 pages plus can be moved, played with and fine tuned and also altered as per a clients whims ..... something Dreanweaver is still lousy at doing!

I have never found frontpage to corrupt its navigation, with out the help of crashed servers or people (i.e me or clients) messing with the background coding etc.

I am talking here of at least 3 sites each with 80+ pages each of which is around 5 years old! The only time other than self inflicted damage (as above :) navigation/themes have been lost is during host crashes etc ( not just Jodo - I mean all and any previous hosts)

Jodo to give them their due at least admit when a server crashes & burns and keeps us informed of progress - good stuff - at least I know that all my front page sites will be broken + any server site redirects will need resetting!

The anoying bit really is that no host EVER admits that they have broken frontpage - its all ways bill gates fault!

Back