Win5 CPU Upgrade 8am May 6th

Stephen

US Operations
Staff member
I will be upgrading the CPUs on Win5 from the current Dual Xeon 2.0's to some new 2.6Ghz Xeons. This will take between 5 and 15 minutes to complete, and should result in better performance at peak times for websites on Win5.

That is about 15 hours from now that this upgrade will take place.

I just got in and am starting this now, about 29 minutes late. Sorry guys, got to get used to this Miami traffic.

Edit: I guess in the end it made no difference, still 6 minutes left transferring one of the backup images.

OK, small problem here.
Two new 2.6GHz CPUs went into the server but Windows directly went into a chkdsk and it is finding corrupted files and fixing it.

We are letting it run. Stephen estimates Win5 will be back in 30 minutes, but I'll put it at 60 minutes to be safe.

We appologize for the inconvenience. This is the first win5 problem after a long long time. We were upgrading the processors to ensure better performance during peak hours.

Win5 chkdsk is now in the stage 3, security descriptors, as posted above, here we have no display of the percentage of completion, but it is checking all ACLs and verifying them, the hshome folder has millions of ACLs, but it should not be more than 60-90 more minutes to complete.

We do appologize for the incorrect time-frame.
It seems Windows has gone into an extended scandisk and this is taking time. It is checking many many permissions from now and in our experience this should take not more than 60 minutes

So stephen said, we should have the server up by 12 to 12:30 PM EST (60 to 90 minutes from now).

82% of Phase 3 completed
So it should hopefully finish much sooner that what we have estimated.

ACL permissions were being reindexed. This is something we normally don't see happening on Windows servers while doing a checkdisk.

However, we do believe that this should speed up I/O quite a bit :)

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Server is up. We thank our customers for their patience.

We at JodoHost strive to maintain near 100% uptime but sometimes even after our best efforts, technical issues develop.

Back