Windows 2003 Problems..

I am trying to help a domain client set up a Windows2003 server off board from JODO. We can't seem to get the namesevers to work on the web. I thought I followed the instructions to the T when setting up the server and have started over 3 times.

I am thinking I didn't do the zones correctly. The IP is working on the web so thats strange I can't get the nameservers to work.

Any ideas or is anyone willing to remote in and look at our settings!

For such issues, please always provide as much info as possible, like DNS server being used, your zone file, etc(note - this is an open forum). You can also check DNS status with dnsreport etc.

yea i checked, the domain is live, but no nameservers are found. I am not sure what I did wrong setting up the server in windows2003.

I've started over 3 times with no luck. :rolleyes:

Did you create a primary DNS zone or a Stub or forward zone?
You may be better off using Bind for which there are so many examples available all around, though may not be as intutive being unix-like even on Windows :)

If the user doesnt mind spending a little, SimpleDNS may be a good option its all GUI etc, very simple.

So this will fix the nameserver issue and establish the namesevers online using BIND on windows2003?

I will be the one doing it for him.

has the nameserver been registered as such at the registrar?

Remember how when you do the reseller setup you have to also assign the nameserver ips to the name, some places called manage child nameservers, you have to do this for any such nameserver, not just "resellers"

I think thats whats wrong, I didn't set the nameserver settings @ DirectI. I forgot about that.

How do we set the nameserver settings in the DirectI control panels????

This is a server not hosted at JODO, I am trying to help someone get a windows2003 server up and running and my first time.

I found the managed child nameservers in DIrectI control panel.

Shoot can't believe I forgot this step, all that time reinstalling the server 3 times.

This is driving me nuts. I still cant get it to work. I have created the child nameserver with no luck.

It has got to be something on the actual windows 2003 setup primary setttings. Does anyone have 5 minutes just to look at our settings and see what we did wrong. This is my first time.

Hi Neeraj, this is a server off board of JODO, so can't request support unless you would like to take a look. I will come by live chat give me a minute.

Back