Windows VPS Experiences?

brawney

Perch
I'd like to hear from some Windows VPS users about their experience. I saw some threads and posts where most users are happy. It seems that memory is a constant consideration. I guess with only half a gig of RAM there isn't much room to do anything. I really have to wonder how well Windows 2003 Server can run with half a gig of memory.

I'm curious as to how responsive these servers run for asp.net apps in general, as well as MySql running on the local box. I'm afraid that although you get remote desktop access to do whatever you want with the server, you're trading server power for admin access. The price is very attractive though.

RAM issues have become pretty much a non issue since the new plans are in place.

RAM issues have become pretty much a non issue since the new plans are in place.

Can you explain to me how we can actually run a server with only 500mb of memory? If I setup a VM here, load up Server 2003 and MySql (I haven't done it so I am only guessing) I imagine it would barely run. Is Virtuoso doing something different to make all this work?

Can anyone send me some links to sites running asp.net on one of the JH VPS setups? Feel free to PM me.

Also, compared to shared hosting what will I be missing? Backups?

The VPS when we give has OS , .net pre installed, if client goes for Plesk then its there too, all these actually run in VPS as images, so use less of memory, however but when you install a program after VPS is created it will start using some memory as per the application.

Mysql will not be a problem as it uses not much of memory, but mssql yes it do need some memory to run.

Backup of VPS can be take from Power Panel and we do take regular backup from our end as well.

Compared to shared hosting you will have to install all the components on your VPS if you are using like Dundas , Persist or jmail etc, but on other had you have the full VPS at your disposal and its resources.

OK thanks for the info Pratik. It sounds like all the base software is not using your 500mb then. That makes sense then. Mostly all you're using the 500mb of memory for is your own app. This sounds much better to me.

It sure is an attractive offering to have total control of your own server for as little as $39 a month.

Back