WinVPS1 RAID problem - Restored from Backup

Stephen

US Operations
Staff member
We rebooted WinVPS after doing some patches and moving the server to a new position in the current rack at NAP of the Americas(it was not being moved to Miami Exchange), after the reboot it said it could not find a logical drive on the server, and did not boot to windows. We are working on this alone right now, and further moves WILL NOT happen tonight, they will be moved to Monday night.

Re: WinVPS RAID problem

I have just spent over an hour on the phone with Adaptec after hours technical support, we tried a few steps to recovery the init data on the drives so that it would boot properly without any success.

After discussing the whole situation he(Jay at Adaptec Technical support) said there is a chance that the raid card itself has failed and we are going to be replacing this raid card, and all the drives to check them fully.
We will begin the process of re-installing and restoring from backup all the WinVPS accounts on WinVPS1.

We will restore some VPSes over to the new WINVPS5 server in very soon, WinVPS1 rebuild is coming along but slower than I'd hoped, the fastest way to get clients up will be restoring some VPSes to WinVPS5.

We have a number of VPSes up now, on WinVPS5 server, some will also be coming online on a nearly completely new WinVPS1 soon as well. VPSes are from backup today, a some from backup 4 days ago, and one is quite an old backup because the user compressed their filesystem preventing backups from completing again.

All but one VPS has been restored, this one VPS is the one with a compressed file system, I have tried many ways to force the restore with MFT errors each time. All other VPSes are up with a backup less than 5 days old at max, many with less than 24 hours.

Back