YOUR MS SQL Database Backup?

Hawkeye

Perch
My question to all Jodohost users who have SQL databases is: How are you making periodic backups of your database YOURSELF?

I've tried connecting via Enterprise Manager - I can see the database (all of them in fact), but when I right-click--->All Tasks--->backup database, it can't see any of MY local drives for the destination, so I can't do the backup (the local drives, such as "c:" are on the server).

How are you all doing it?

Hawkeye said:
I can see the database (all of them in fact)

Hate that about MS SQL

There are a few web tools (try sqladmin.jodohost.com) that can export your database to *.sql I believe. You could simply restore you database from the .sql file when you need to.

If you have SQL Server at home or work, you can setup DTS packages to copy the data from Jodo to your own local "backup" database.

ungrounded said:
If you have SQL Server at home or work, you can setup DTS packages to copy the data from Jodo to your own local "backup" database.

Can you explain how this is done?

brawney said:
Can you explain how this is done?

Try these MSDN articles:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dtssql/dts_tools_wiz_8vsj.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dtssql/dts_tools_wiz_9e5g.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dtssql/dts_pkgmng_4hm6.asp

Assuming you have full access to a SQL Server (so you can create DTS packages and schedule jobs -- which you can't do on JodoHost), Enterprise Manager, and a cooperative firewall (mine at work isn't) then you should be able to schedule packages to backup all your data. When I get home tonight I'll try to remember to take some screen shots, but there is a DTS Import/Export Wizard that will step you through the process.

Good Luck!

ungrounded said:
...schedule packages to backup all your data.

Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word "backup". This process will simply allow you to make a copy of your data - it's not the same as a SQL Server backup - but can still save your bacon if/when something goes wrong.

ungrounded said:
Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word "backup". This process will simply allow you to make a copy of your data - it's not the same as a SQL Server backup - but can still save your bacon if/when something goes wrong.

Have you used this against your DB here at Jodohost successfully?

Hawkeye said:
No - I haven't. However, I can easily connect to my JodoHost database with Enterprise Manager from home - and I can't think of any reason why a DTS package wouldn't be able to make a connection if I can manually.

But I've certainly been proven wrong more times than I'm willing to admit, so I'll give it a try when I get home tonight. The evil network people here at work won't let me poke through the firewall!

Hawkeye said:
I have been able to connect to my MS SQL Server database using Enterprise Manager from home as well. Not only that, but I do so manually on about a weekly basis and make sure that I have my own personal copy of the database. The short answer is yes, it can be done easilly.

As long as you have an existing database locally you can export the data from your database at JodoHost using EM.

If you just want to dump yout data into a flat text file you can do that as well. Play around with the Export feature in EM. To get to it, connect to your database on JodoHost, right click on the database, go to All Tasks and select Export Data.

The first page will verify your connection information on JodoHost.

The second one will allow you to select where you want the data to go. This list is determined by the drivers installed on your PC. You should be able to export to SQL Server, MS Access, MS Excel and Text Files at the very least. Play around with the options and you should be able to find the solution that is best for your needs.

ungrounded said:

Ah, ok. I've used DTS to export my data before. Never scheduled it though. Always ran it immediately.

hatton said:
I have been able to connect to my MS SQL Server database using Enterprise Manager from home as well. Not only that, but I do so manually on about a weekly basis and make sure that I have my own personal copy of the database. The short answer is yes, it can be done easilly.

Hey Hatton - thanks, I did indeed try that (and get it to work) for the first time last night. I did notice that all indexes, constraints, stored procedures, etc DO have to be re-created...you basically only get data with an export, but that's good enough for me.

Not quite as clean as the Backup\Restore (also from the "All Tasks" menu), but those don't work remotely...

I had found this tool (http://www.1clickdb.com/) some time ago and it looked pretty cool. I played with it a bit and it worked fine for me. I don't think it does backups, but it allows you to manage a DB from your web browser.

I made a simple banner rotator and I'm using Access to store the data right now. It is so easy to modify the MDB locally then simply ftp up to the web site. I would like to move it to MS SQL but that makes management of the data harder. I was thinking of writing my own web interface to manage the data but that sounded like a lot of work. ;) A simple app like 1ClickDB solves that problem though. :)

Back