2 Questions

Hi,

I'll probably sign up anyway (I'm currently under the trial plan) but first I have a couple questions:

1)
At my current host I can have as many databases as I want, they just add up the disk space I use towards my quota. This seems like a nice solution as I can have one big database or many small ones. Is there a reason that method isn't used here?

2)
I use a PHP image gallary that extracts the EXIF data from the image files to show the settings the camera was set on when the picture was taken. When I moved this database and script to my JodoHost test account the script reports that EXIF is not enabled (or available?). Is there a way to activate this capability? Maybe just the version of PHP that's installed doesn't support it, or hasn't been compiled in?

Otherwise I am very pleased with my experience so far, and having php, asp.net, MySQL and SQL Server available all in the same place is a huge bonus!

Thanks,
Andrew

Ok, you can use a custom php.ini on windows and enable exif without a problem, just submit a ticket to get the server php.ini, then modify it as needed and place in the domain root.

I am not exactly sure whatyou mean by the database question to be honest, the disk quota is overall, so you can use it for a database if you wish.

Access counts as anyother web space, SQL, you are only limited in numer you have have(on shared)

Hi Stephen,

Here's some more information on my database question:

On the value plan I can have 1 MSSQL db, 1 MySQL Db and 1 PostgreSQL DB.

At my current host (that only has MySQL DBs) I can have as many databases as I want, 100 if I choose, as long as I don't exceed my disk space quota with the data.

This is nice because I can create a new database to try an idea out, or install a product to examine it in its own database space.

I suppose there is some overhead on the server associated with each database that is created, which is why JodoHost limits the number you can create without paying a little more, but the ability to create a test database at any time is nice and a flexability that I will miss. However, the additional features that JodoHost provides more than outweigh this minor inconvienence.

Thanks,
Andrew

with most programs, you can use one databse and prefix the tables with phpapp_ or something, then when you are done with testing and want to remove, you can just drop the tables with that prefix.

Hi Stephen,

Yeah, I've seen that. Maybe I'll just so for the next plan up that allows for two each of each type of database. Then I can have my production and test databases seperated.

Thanks again for the prompt replies.

Andrew

Back