550 Mailbox Not Found

isotope

Guppy
I'm having an issues when sending emails from mail.pixelhippo.com or mail.arbhomes.com to an *aol.com account. Here's the message:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at @.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
205.188.156.248 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 MAILBOX NOT FOUND
Giving up on 205.188.156.248.

I went to http://postmaster.aol.com/cgi-bin/dns_tool.pl and put the my email serves ipaddress and everything checked out. I'm not sure what's going on. Could you please look into this?

Thanks,
Jaime

I'm having an issues when sending emails from mail.pixelhippo.com or mail.arbhomes.com to an *aol.com account. Here's the message:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at @.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
205.188.156.248 does not like recipient.
Giving up on 205.188.156.248.

I went to http://postmaster.aol.com/cgi-bin/dns_tool.pl and put the my email serves ipaddress and everything checked out. I'm not sure what's going on. Could you please look into this?

Thanks,
Jaime
This is best by ticket, but the error says the case, that mail address doesn't exist.

Well, I'm afraid that there are many reasons mail could bounce. In fact there are so many ways it could fail that sometimes I'm amazed that it works at all. But it definitely works most of the time, and one of the ways it works is that very bounce message you get.
You see, there's gold in that bounce message. It's not only telling you that your message didn't go through, but if you look a little closer, you'll see it's trying to tell you why.
Bounce messages can vary in format, and in exact wording, depending on the mail server that's sending the message back to you. Different types of mail servers use different terminology. Some are quite geeky and difficult to understand. Others seem to take five paragraphs to tell you that you probably just mistyped the email address you were sending to.

Well, I'm afraid that there are many reasons mail could bounce. In fact there are so many ways it could fail that sometimes I'm amazed that it works at all. But it definitely works most of the time, and one of the ways it works is that very bounce message you get.
You see, there's gold in that bounce message. It's not only telling you that your message didn't go through, but if you look a little closer, you'll see it's trying to tell you why.
Bounce messages can vary in format, and in exact wording, depending on the mail server that's sending the message back to you. Different types of mail servers use different terminology. Some are quite geeky and difficult to understand. Others seem to take five paragraphs to tell you that you probably just mistyped the email address you were sending to.

Yes, there are lots of reasons, but this one is pretty cut and dried:

That means the mailbox doesn't exist on the receiving end. They need to check their mail servers or the sender needs to check what address he's sending to.

-Ben

That means the mailbox doesn't exist on the receiving end.

Not necessarily. A lot of mail servers are now configured to bounce a message they don't like for whatever reason, and in order to keep things as opaque for spammers as possible issue a generic "mailbox not found" error. It doesn't really tell you anything at all -- and certainly can't be assumed to mean that the mailbox doesn't exist on the receiving end.

Back