A question for SEO gurus - can Google see links in JavaScript?

Discussion in 'General Web Coding' started by antic, Sep 11, 2006.

1. antic

antic Perch

Hi guys,

I'm setting up a javascript-based menu for a client, and all the menu links etc. are of course all dynamically written by the script in the browser.

So I'm wondering, is this a hinderance to SEO, specifically for Google, or does Google also search inside <script> tags for URLs in code? e.g. stuff like:
    Code:
    <script>
      menuLink[5] = '/content/aboutus.html';
    </script>
    Will Google recognise and crawl this?

If not, is there a solution, like perhaps putting all the menu links inside a <noscript> tag in plain html, so Google can see all the links?

Thanks!
  2. gsaunders

gsaunders Perch

I believe I read recently that they are looking at doing that, but I don't know for sure. Not sure anyone knows for sure, but maybe someone else out there is more knowledgeble than I in this area.
  3. Stephen

Stephen US Operations Staff Member

4. gsaunders

gsaunders Perch

5. Good Oyster

Good Oyster Perch

One of the aforementioned links may have covered this, but your best bet is to also include text links, maybe at the bottom of the page, and a site map with direct links to the pages. This will give the spiders plenty of links to follow and find the pages.
  6. KCWebMonkey

KCWebMonkey Perch

my 2 cents...

I always advise against javascript generated links (document.redirect, etc..) but i have seen several sites that have completely javascript generated menus, and most of their pages still get indexed by Google.

i can't divulge the names of the sites due to client confidentiality, but i can assure you that Google has logic that can read the javascript if it's not complex.