A-Record Propogation Question

JToto

Guppy
Hello,

I am wondering what the average time it usually takes to propogate new DNS A-Records once they are setup. My understanding is that the JodoHost DNS servers, NS3....com, NS4....com would be the authority on the A-Records. However, it seems to take a lot of time for those servers to be updated with A-Records that are added or changed via the Hsphere control panel.

I am just curious to see if this is normal? I would have expected that since JodoHost owns those servers they would be updated quicker. However I could be wrong and they may be updated in batch every day or two days or whatever.

Anyway I am just curious for my own information. Thanks :)

Cheers!

- JP

the updates are done on our servers in 10 min or less, it is ISP caching DNS that is the delay.

Ahh, I see. I figured that's what it was. I guess my only question, then is for example:

When I make a DNS A-Record change and check the record at dnsstuff.com, it says that ns3.myreseller.com and ns4.myreseller.com do not know of the new A-Record. I would have thought that they would have known it within the 10 minutes.

Stephen, this isn't an emergency situation or anything. I am just trying to learn more to set my own expectations for when I alter client A-records. I appreciate all your feedback.

Keep up the great work!

dnsstuff should show it near instantly when done properly. Send in a ticket and have us take a look.

the updates are done on our servers in 10 min or less, it is ISP caching DNS that is the delay.

Don't know if this is related, but for almost all of the last domains I add ns3 doesn't seems to get updated... even an hour or two later. This is testing using dnsstuff or me directly using the ns? server with nslookup.

After a ticket is put in they fix it, but the last 3 to 5 domains that I recall doing it did the same thing.

JToto,

I can honestly say I just saw Tanmaya's post about ns3/4 issue this morning, somehow I missed it and vB did not list it as a new topic.

I think a ticket is the best method here as there was an issue on these nameservers and they may need to run the dns zone recreator for your DNS.

Ok. My ticket has already been addressed and my A-record was fixed. My concern is that this could be an ongoing issue. I had the same problem a few weeks ago with another dns A record.

Thanks for the feedback, Stephen.

Back