Add a Frontpage subweb author?

Mycroft

Perch
Hi,

I need to create a sub-web for my current frontpage website. (please don't berate me for using frontpage)

I was wondering if it were possible to create an additional user and give that user author permission to a particular subweb.

Can I just open a ticket for this?

Regards,

-Jim

Subwebs are not supported in hpshere and we will not create them manually as it can conflict with the permissions of the domain making it go down asking for a password.
However we do not prevent people from opening their site frontpage admin and making a subweb and user, but be aware of the possibility and in fact likelihood of permissions problems.

Could you just give another user rights over the entire site? I could just use folders rather than subbebs. I've tried using the front page admin function and, like you said, the permissions don't seem to work.

We CAN give a user rights over the entire site, but anytime they use frontpage it will try to run a "fix" on it making it ask for passwords again. If it would just leave it alone it would work fine.

Oh. I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you said If I played with FP permissions it would mess up the permissions.

So you're basically saying that because of the interaction between hsphere and frontpage, I can only have one author for the site?

Regards,

-Jim

Correct because of the interaction only 1 works properly. Hsphere modifies the auth methods that is "typical" IIS, so it can't work in the same way frontpage admin is programmed to work.

I'm not sure how directly relevant this is to your problem but I've found that (ironic as it sounds) FrontPage is much easier to deal with on Linux than on Windows so unless you really need Windows for other reasons, I suggest moving to Linux. On Linux I just set my one admin type user in Hsphere then don't touch Hsphere again. If I need additional users then I happily maintain them from within the FrontPage client in the "Security" menu. I think it is just modifying .htaccess files whereas Windows needs genuine Windows users.

Subwebs don't seem to be a problem on Linux. You can create them either by opening the root site with FrontPage and doing a "Create Web" or don't even do that, just "Publish" to the non-existent subweb for the first time and it gets created. I have a customer with about 10 subwebs on one site. For one subweb I used the FrontPage client to setup a user with publish permission only on that subweb and not the root and that seemed to work okay in my testing although I don't think they ever really used it in practice. Just one thing to remember, if things do get screwed up and you need to fix or reinstall FP extensions from within Hsphere then subwebs revert to being simple folders. You can easily change them back to subwebs, again using the FP client but you need to remember what was a subweb and what was a folder.

Cheers
Ross

Frontpage extensions support is being terminated as MS has pulled it from availibility.

However we do not prevent people from opening their site frontpage admin and making a subweb and user, but be aware of the possibility and in fact likelihood of permissions problems.

Stephen, perhaps you can clarify. Sorry, I'm sort of mixing threads here. Its related to this: http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=8564

I need to do something for a long time friend / customer using FrontPage on Linux who tends to use a lot of subwebs.

His realistic choices are to stay on Linux and start using FTP or move to Windows. I think the only FP feature he really uses is shared borders and a test I did a couple of years ago suggested that they don't need FP extensions, the borders are literally inserted into every html page but ... who knows ... it sounds a bit dicey.

So ... I think I'll move him to Windows. I'm talking about one person publishing from one PC using one user name. My quick tests suggest that creating subwebs seems to work either using the FP client directly or simply publishing to a non-existent subweb. Are there any real problems with that situation on Windows? He is using subwebs simply to split things up so, especially with a dialup, its not such a big operation when he hits the publish button.

I remember back in about 1995 he asked me what he could use to create a web site. I suggested that this new thing called FrontPage might be a good idea. I've been regretting that suggestion ever since. :(

Cheers
Ross

Back