ASP and Components question

wotech

Perch
I'm looking at Jodohost due to a problem at my current host with ASP sessions and I have a couple questions before finalizing anything.

1. My current host is having problems with ASP sessions ending prematurely. For example, on my ASP login scripts on my sites, the user logs in, a session is set that says the current user is logged in, and the user enters the password protected area. What happens, though, is that the server session gets dropped after a couple minutes (sometimes even 30 seconds), thus dropping all the session variables set by ASP or ASP.net and requiring all users to login again. I've found instances of other people having this problem with Windows 2003 servers and I'm wondering if 1) Jodo has had any problem with this and 2) If a problem develops with this, what will be done? My current hosting company gives me one of those "I dunno, check your scripts" answers.

2. I have a couple ASP and .net components on my current hosting company's server and I'd just like to know if I can put them on my Jodo server as well? One of the components is a rich text editor (FCKEditor) and the other is an image manipulation component (ASPJpeg).

Thanks for the info!

1. My current host is having problems with ASP sessions ending prematurely. For example, on my ASP login scripts on my sites, the user logs in, a session is set that says the current user is logged in, and the user enters the password protected area. What happens, though, is that the server session gets dropped after a couple minutes (sometimes even 30 seconds), thus dropping all the session variables set by ASP or ASP.net and requiring all users to login again. I've found instances of other people having this problem with Windows 2003 servers and I'm wondering if 1) Jodo has had any problem with this and 2) If a problem develops with this, what will be done? My current hosting company gives me one of those "I dunno, check your scripts" answers.

> This is in fact a windows 2003 problem, but servers that start with service pack1 have not exibited that problem, ones that are upgraded to sp1, sadly do still have it. However, we found ways to make it work, quite a long time ago.

2. I have a couple ASP and .net components on my current hosting company's server and I'd just like to know if I can put them on my Jodo server as well? One of the components is a rich text editor (FCKEditor) and the other is an image manipulation component (ASPJpeg).

> ASPJpeg is installed, FCKEditor, I would need to know more on, it is not installed, .net components can typically be user installed in the users /bin folder, ASP objects we do not install on user request, but do take recommendations to install them if we feel they are beneficial to all customers.

We can't install all objects out there, as they each take up RAM, and resources even if just one user utilizes them, we like to have objects that benefit all.

Stephen said:
> This is in fact a windows 2003 problem, but servers that start with service pack1 have not exibited that problem, ones that are upgraded to sp1, sadly do still have it. However, we found ways to make it work, quite a long time ago.

What is your workaround to this problem Stephen?

It is a trade secret :)

But basically the problem is this, anytime a session terminates, it terminates every session in the pool the site is operating from.

Hi guys,

Just wondering what version on ASPJPEG is installed on the servers? 1.3x, 1.4x or 1.5x?

Cheers!

wotech said:
I'm looking at Jodohost due to a problem at my current host with ASP sessions and I have a couple questions before finalizing anything.

Sounds like DIY ?

with Jodo - this is not an issue - and good quality time is enjoyed by all sessions :)

fckeditor doesn't use any components so nothing is needed to e installed on the server. you can just download the code and put it on your site without any issues.

You're right it is DIY. But while perusing the Jodohost reseller support area, I came across an FAQ regarding the session problem I described....interesting--

====From Jodohost Support Area====
Problem
In my ASP website hosting on Win2003, my sessions are expiring very quickly in under 2 minutes. What can I do to prevent this?

Solution
This is a specific issue on Windows 2003/IIS6 servers. What happens is that any shared host creates application pools within IIS6 to host certain x number of websites. Each server may have several application pools and all websites on the server are divided among these pools. When a customer's website calls session.terminate within any application pool, all session variables are lost within that pool.

The only real solution to this issue (which is highly recommended by many developers and Microsoft themselves) is to use database session management. Here you can store all session related data in a local database. If you are unable to implement this solution, we can try working on something unique for you (such as moving you to a Win2000 server). Please open a ticket for that. However it is highly recommended you rework your website's code to incorporate these changes
==================================

So what's the truth? Is it a problem or not?

It is a problem but we'd be able to resolve it for you manually.... Just open a ticket if you experience the issue on our servers.

But this IS a problem. An inexperienced host may not know how to deal with it.
However its stronly recommended you use DB-based sessions.

No, we fix it at the windows 2003 level, we do not have any customers being moved to windows 2000 anymore, and have not for several months now.

wotech - i have sites on win2, win5, win 6, win7 and win10 - not sute what OS they are on - but they are all OK in this session aspect - unlike with DIY.

DIY was able to tweak the issue minimally, but never satisfactory.

wotech said:
By moving my sites to a Windows 2000 server? Is that how it gets resolved?

We avoid this session expiration issue by purely subdividing websites into as small application pools as we can. Unfortunately HSphere doesn't do this automatically and we need to do it manually.

While the issue exists, most customers & visitors will never notice a premature expiration. However if you are experiencing this issue with us, open a ticket and we'd work on it

Just refreshing this thread because I have the same problem (with other host) of session disconnection in between pages in ASP.Net 2.0.
So I have moved my website from that host to Jodo and I hope this problem won't occur.
I am opening a ticket for this issue just to be on safe side because I have to show demo to my client and I don't want this thing to happen again.

jodo was able to fix the problem for the most part. It still happens sometimes, but not near as often.

One of my apps I had to move to a dedicated server, as it was essential that the timeout thing not happen.

with asp.net it is recommended to use the State Server. ASP has no such server but there are methods to use database sessions, and they are the preferred method.

Many people will see session problems even on a dedicated server with windows 2003 because of its built in pool method and idle recycling(no hits=recycle a lot)

Back