ASP.Net Application Configuration

AndyLL

Perch
I hope this is doable but I can't get it to work. I need both apps running on the same domain so they can share authentication cookies

Domain: www.DisneyToddlers.com

Main app
directory: C:\Inetpub\vhosts\disneytoddlers.com\httpdocs\
Asp: 2.00

Forums
directory: C:\Inetpub\vhosts\disneytoddlers.com\httpdocs\forums
Asp: 1.14

I have not installed the main App yet... just the forums.

If I just go to the forums directory in IIS and click the 'create' application on that directory I get the following error trying to access it:

The directory does not exist or is not accessible because of security settings

If I set the forums as its own virtual directory then I get web.config errors because there are authentication conflicts. ( I thought that this error would go away because it is it's own application)

So is it possible to have a sub-directory a different .net application then the main directory?

Andy

Since you have plesk, you need to use the web directories function inside the domain manager for this ot prevent conflicts :)

Other than that, I don't think you will be able to share authentication without a DB or cookie backend from separate apps

I am not developer so maybe one of them weighing in will help here

oh yes, they MUST be in different app pools running different .net versions or it will crash the entire pool.

This was a test domain so I was configuring directly throug IIS.

They are in different pools.

Since one was a sub-directory they share cookies. What I was trying to test is if they can share the asp.net forms authentication cookies between 1.14 and 2.00

I'm not getting that far.

I thought if I configured the subdirectory (forums) as it's own asp.net application it would ignore the web.config from the parent directory. This does not seem to be happening.

it should run on its own web.config considering it is different pool, app folder, etc

I HAVE with 2.0 seen it read down to the root a few times and never able to figure out what directed it to do so, even with sysinternals tools (which won't run on the VPS so no need to try them)

In those cases I recommend subdomains, they work better in my experience, and it shoudl not be technically differnet than different app pools/app folders as far as sharing is concerned

I'll play around some more.

Is there a difference in IIS between creating a virtual directory (for the subdirectory) and right clicking on the subdirectory in iis and clicking the create application button?

yes a virtual directory can remap a name to a different physical folder, application folder should make it the root of an application deployment.

Back