ASPEmail Premium?

antic

Perch
Hi all,

Just wondering if there are any plans to upgrade ASPEmail to a premium (paid) version? The mail queueing is the most attractive feature... it lets you queue with authentication.

I know CDO supports queueing, but without authentication... I believe with CDO you can only authenticate if you send each email using direct SMTP.

Can anyone clear that up or suggest the best method for using mail queueing with authentication?

Cheers!

Hello Antic - you're obviously a black belt 9th dan when it comes to email. If you have the time, could you explain how this queueing feature works, and how one can send emails other than by SMTP (from within program code)?

Thanks

Flattery will always get you a reply. :)

I'm not very experienced with Jodo's infrastructure yet, I'm a newby here. But I know you can use queueing with CDO, and also with ASPEmail Premium (which comes with its own server software that queues mail).

"Queueing" is just cache-management, which allows many emails to be sent quickly in succession, as the mail items are saved to disk instead of trying to connect to an SMTP server for each one. Note you can also use CDO for direct SMTP sending if you want. It'll do both.

You can set queueing with CDO, but - and this is the question from above - I don't think CDO supports authentication with queueing. That is, if you queue your emails, you can't also set an username and password for smtp auth for each one. They're all sent un-auth'd.

However with ASPEmail premium, using it's own mail server daemon, it does support auth'ing emails that you put into the queue.

Queueing is great for sending many emails at once, coz it's quick, and the server takes care of the SMTP stuff. The down side is that you don't get an immediate success/failure status if there's a problem with the SMTP server, as you would if you were connecting manually each time (which is what ASPEmail normally does when you use the Send method).

In terms of hosting at Jodo, I'm not even sure if authentication is required or if it helps to get emails past spam rules. I heard somewhere that AOL accounts don't like receiving un-auth'd emails, but that could be crap. Wouldn't mind that point cleared up actually.

Thanks very much Antic - I'll have a look at this queing since it'll be very useful. I'm only a white belt with this email stuff!

Back