ASPMail installation on mssql1.jodoshared.com

tonto said:
This is an alternative method but it requires that my home PC be turned on all of the time. The only problem with that is that UPS systems don't last that long and my neighbors might complain about a diesel generator.

True, alternatively you could set up a VPS account at JodoHost and install a crontab there :)

The extended stored procedure in MSSQL to send mail is xp_sendmail. A third party component can be set up for mailing such as ASPMail by using other extend stored procedures like SP_OACreate which creates objects.

True, though I think I like the xp_smtp_sendmail thing mentioned in the other thread better. I haven't tried it, but the page at least looks like it's done pretty professionally, and it seems to be free too.

SubSpace said:
True, alternatively you could set up a VPS account at JodoHost and install a crontab there :)

True, though I think I like the xp_smtp_sendmail thing mentioned in the other thread better. I haven't tried it, but the page at least looks like it's done pretty professionally, and it seems to be free too.

Just an FYI -- I wouldn't recommend sending the email at the point of a database trigger. The best way is to insert a row into a separate email queing table and then schedule a job that sends the email from table driven data. You don't want your transactions dependent on the vagaries of the email system :))

Who can we ask to get the xp_smtp_sendmail extended stored procedure installed?? I'm running it in a production SQL cluster environment and it works great. I can answer any questions that the JodoHost staff may have.

chrischross said:
Just an FYI -- I wouldn't recommend sending the email at the point of a database trigger. The best way is to insert a row into a separate email queing table and then schedule a job that sends the email from table driven data. You don't want your transactions dependent on the vagaries of the email system :))

Who can we ask to get the xp_smtp_sendmail extended stored procedure installed?? I'm running it in a production SQL cluster environment and it works great. I can answer any questions that the JodoHost staff may have.
Of course ASPMail would work as well if we could set it up as an object.

Now were making some progress. Maybe Yash and the others will check this out. What do you think Yash? xp_smtp_sendmail

Tonto

Yash said:
OK, installed.. let me know
Yash and team,

Thank you so much for working with me on this matter. I just tried it and it works PERFECT. I guess that I have to eat my words for saying that Jodo has the worst service. At present; Jodo has supplied me with superb service. You have proven that you will work with the customer and make every attempt to resolve their issues. I appologize for any strong words that I may have said and look forward to a continued relationship with JodoHost. I will post a tutorial on how to use this after I have developed my application.

Thank You,

Tonto

Tonto:

What did you use for your @server parameter?

For mssql5, my smarthost isn't defined and xp_smtp_sendmail lacks the authentication means to use my normal mail.mysite.com as an outgoing mail server.

aaalllen,

I've recently switched to CDONTS for this reason.

ASPmail doesn't support authentication.

For reference I used mail.mysite.com where mysite is your domain. I would recommend using CDONTS because you get less bounced emails when you authenticate.

i have a nightly scheduled task that is spec'd to send an email. in other environments, i have used SQL Server's xp_sendmail to generate and send email w/ attachments.

i have opened a ticket asking that xp_sendmail be given access from my db login or for smarthost to be defined for xp_smtp_sendmail (as a theoretical work around the relay authentication), but have been getting the run around.

are there other sql server emailing procedures that you can think of? my web server mail code works well. as a last resort, i will create a table of emails that i need to send, a page to perform the sending, and a schedule job on a different machine to hit the page.

aaalllen,

Don't bother asking. I did this allready. JH answer was that it will compromise security so I found another way.

I set up a DB table that holds simply a date. My ASP code on my home page checks the date that emails were last sent and sends if the date is not today. After the emails are sent, the date is updated.

It's not pretty but it works. You can probably make it run at a certain time by narrowing the time but then it will only run if you have visitors during that period. This may not be a problem if you have a lot of visitors or robots pinging your page.

Let me know what you come up with.

aaalllen said:
i have a nightly scheduled task that is spec'd to send an email. in other environments, i have used SQL Server's xp_sendmail to generate and send email w/ attachments.

i have opened a ticket asking that xp_sendmail be given access from my db login or for smarthost to be defined for xp_smtp_sendmail (as a theoretical work around the relay authentication), but have been getting the run around.

are there other sql server emailing procedures that you can think of? my web server mail code works well. as a last resort, i will create a table of emails that i need to send, a page to perform the sending, and a schedule job on a different machine to hit the page.

I am in the same situation trying to figure out ways to send myself email alerts when customers post messages through our website's contact form.

Because JH doesn't want to grant me execution rights for xp_smtp_sendmail, I am stuck.

Tonto-Can you post an example of your code to give us ideas?

mengzi said:
I am in the same situation trying to figure out ways to send myself email alerts when customers post messages through our website's contact form.

Because JH doesn't want to grant me execution rights for xp_smtp_sendmail, I am stuck.

Tonto-Can you post an example of your code to give us ideas?

You've revived an old post, but as I have read over it... I must be confused about what is trying to be done. There are so many ways to simply email an alert based on someone filling out a contact page. Of course it depends on whether it is a windows server or unix/linux flavor.

I wonder why the original poster was trying to get the database to send mail. I wouldn't consider that a good place to have it done from.

In regards to your need to get an email alert from a contact form.... when someone posts a form or whatever you are using just have it send an email with the information right from the web site. Just post back to the same page and if there are results use whatever mail component that is available and email it. Or call another page that you post the results to and do the same. Of course you may want to save the information to the database, but that is no biggie... just don't try to have the SQL server mail it.

I can't remember which email components are available, but I think in the windows world it is CDONTS, CDOSYS, ASPMail, JMail, Dundas Mailer. I don't do much in the unix world so I am only familiar with sendmail or other perl modules.

I know this doesn't provide any code examples, but I am sure someone else will have one to post for you. I am not at a spot where I can quickly pull one up.

G.

Back