Backing up my MSSQL database

I'm one of those paranoid programmer types and really want to be able to back up my MSSQL database periodically to my local system. I went through an earlier thread about backing up a database, but have a question.

I can easily export my database to another MSSQL database on my local system using the "All Tasks|Export Data" command, it works great -- EXCEPT -- The stored procedures aren't exported along with the tables and stuff.

I'm not a MSSQL guru by any stretch of the imagination, so if someone could give me a fairly easy procedure by which I can export my whole database with stored procedures and everything, I'd really appreciate it!

in enterprise manager, In the generate SQL script in the tools menu there is an option to export all stored procs

hth, megan

How do i change the roles/permission..so that I can backup/export/download the db tables. My programmer is trying to bck up some critical data..but says only the tables are transferred..not the data.

Would appreciate some asisstance.
Thanks

The backups I make with enterprise manager include stored procedures, are you sure you're making full backups?

Sorry for going back to an old topic
I just tried to backup an MS SQL database using MS SQL Enterpise manager to my local hard disk.I receive the message "Backup database permission denied"
Any ideas?
thank you

Hi,

As far as I know, the Enterprise Manager is acting as an interface to the remote DB server. If you try and perform a DB backup it is actually trying to write the backup onto the hard disk of the DB server, not your local machine.

You can use DTS to copy over a DB via Enterprise Manager, or I believe that if you make a support request they will back up your DB and pop it in your home directory so you can FTP it back.

Cheers!

Back