Bandwidth Speed

Your current bandwidth reading is: 537.60kbps

You are able to download at 67.2 KB/sec. from Win6 @ JodoHost.com

---- but I'm located in the Yukon in Northern Canada (about 60 miles from the Alaska border for reference)

dsh said:
Why is this important? Well for starters, podcasting, file downloads and over all page serves. If users are on high speed lines, then they should be able to surf faster. Serving out at under T1 speeds is abit old school. Keep in mind every speedtest result off this thread was posted late in the evening. One would hahve to believe that is the best time... what happens during the day? If it cut in half.... that would stink.

Well, as you said, if you use multiple connections you can use your full T1 with us.. If we wanted to throttle.. we'd do it per user not per session.

The per session throttling could be happening somewhere in between. The throttling is proportional to the capacity of your line, hence a higher capacity line would deliver more bandwidth in a single session. So this couldn't be related to us..

Also.. please note the primary purpose of JodoHost services is shared web hosting i.e. hosting data-driven websites. Not download directories or podcasting. if a customer was podcasting 24x7 or had a download library that was getting high bandwidth downloads 24x7, we do reserve the right to throttle bandwidth... Although we have rarely used such a policy, throttling would be proportional to your hosting package and is done to ensure we dont run into losses over your account (we pay per a heavy per mbps price on bw)

As a host, I think we are very generous when it comes to bandwidth. We do not throttle (unless in the cases I mentioned) and we tolerate large bandwidth bursts from websites, during heavy browsing or downloading activity. Some sites frequently bursting over 5 to 10mbps of usage.. Such bursting is expensive for a shared host, and not many shared hosts tolerate this.. they do throttle bandwidth.

We at JodoHost have rarely resorted to any sort of throttling, only in the case that large bandwidth flow is sustained indefinately making us go into loss with respect to that account

Very well put Yash.

You guys have come a long way. Keep up the good work.

The script is still good for testing purposes in general. I'll keep it up and change up the text.

Thanks,
DSH

Just for your reference dsh, we have very little difference in evening to daytime traffic, as we have a global crowd here:
http://jodopulse.com:8090/Router13/view.htm?id={E164127A-1E9C-44D9-951B-BC3B0EDA9793}

You can view the graph on current usage there, about the only time I saw a large drop was actually between christmas and new years, I guess people just were not online :)

going good here :D

Your current bandwidth reading from JodoHost is:

1.04 Mbps

which means you can download at 133 KB/sec. from JodoHost servers.

Your current bandwidth reading from JodoHost is:

1.23 Mbps

which means you can download at 157.04 KB/sec. from JodoHost servers.

BTW we have dual gigabit core connections, not 100mb. (now) In fact if we had 100mb links at this point you would be having at least 60% packetloss all the time. We never drop below 100mb/s at any point in the day/night we have single servers using over this at many times.

Hey Stephen... Been awhile...

I take into consideration that I'm on a shared server and everything that goes along with that.

I also take into consideration that the speedtest bandwidth test is on a highly dedicated line.

I've just always wondered why such a large discrepancy. If I host a 400Mb file on my hosting account that I need to download quickly at a clients; who have high bandwidth (10Mb to 30Mb)... Jodo is not able to do that.

I've considered going with vsp and dedicated servers from Jodo in the past and this bandwidth discrepancy always concerned me.

I have a friend who is running the test on the second fastest ISP in the Houston Area. I'll Post the results.

Hey Stephen... Been awhile...

I take into consideration that I'm on a shared server and everything that goes along with that.

I also take into consideration that the speedtest bandwidth test is on a highly dedicated line.

I've just always wondered why such a large discrepancy. If I host a 400Mb file on my hosting account that I need to download quickly at a clients; who have high bandwidth (10Mb to 30Mb)... Jodo is not able to do that.

I've considered going with vsp and dedicated servers from Jodo in the past and this bandwidth discrepancy always concerned me.

I have a friend who is running the test on the second fastest ISP in the Houston Area. I'll Post the results.

dsh,

You are using php for these tests, it is in no way threaded or optimized for download testing, in addition the downloads are only single threaded 1mb+ for a single thread in download is really quite good. It is as good as I get from anywhere.

Flash apps can do multi threaded downloads now, have been able to since version 7 if I remember properly. Microsoft update/msdn/technet use a multi threaded approach as well.
I have MSDN/Technet which requires File Transfer Manager to download, just as a test put it on 1 concurrent connection for downloading and watch all your downloads be in the 400k-1.1mb/s range, then put it back on 4 and watch it go back to 2mb+

Back