Best place to put an Access database

brawney

Perch
What is the best location to put an Access MDB file within my web site directory structure?

I could place it within the domain directory like this:

C:\hshome\AccountName\DomainName\db\MyAccessDB.MDB

But this is within the domain and could potentially be available for people to download if they know the name of the file. Right?

So maybe back up the tree a little would make more sense? Like this:

C:\hshome\AccountName\db\MyAccessDB.MDB

This would not be accessible from the web at all, but would be available to all domains under the account.

Are my assumptions correct? Any other words of wisdom or tips for making this work?

brawney said:
What is the best location to put an Access MDB file within my web site directory structure?

C:\hshome\AccountName\db\MyAccessDB.MDB

This would not be accessible from the web at all, but would be available to all domains under the account.

Are my assumptions correct? Any other words of wisdom or tips for making this work?

Your assumptions are indeed correct. From what I understand of the HSphere setup, ODBC links are domain independent so you can have all of your databases in a directory off the root and access it from any domain.

Unless you want to provide public access to your database, it's the safest way to do things.

Adding to the previous posters comments, when you setup your ODBC connection make sure to use an ODBC name which won't be easily guessed - reason being that you are installing onto shared servers and any other customer using that server could feasibly use your ODBC name to access your database.

Andrew

Hi,

Although it is a already old POST, that does not clear that it cannot respond in the same one. :D

The best form to place Access databases and not to use ODBC, is that the file *.mdb is in the /bin/ directory (or any other file that is desired to protect).

Try to place any page or a test database and directly go to the direction Web of same (eg: http://mydomain.com/bin/data.mdb)

Tests and they tell me ;)

I read the title and the first response I could think of was "in the garbage". :D

Back