Billing Periods

Logan

Perch
My billing period starts on Apr 6, this I'm sure of. But when *exactly* does traffic start counting. Is it 12:01 AM GMT on Apr 6? Is it 12:01 AM EST Apr 6?

EDIT: And when *exactly* does HSpehere update with the traffic used? And is it EST, GMT, something else?

Anyone? Anyone?

Logan said:
My billing period starts on Apr 6, this I'm sure of. But when *exactly* does traffic start counting. Is it 12:01 AM GMT on Apr 6? Is it 12:01 AM EST Apr 6?

EDIT: And when *exactly* does HSpehere update with the traffic used? And is it EST, GMT, something else?

Anyone? Anyone?

(Sorry, I added the above to the original by mistake.)

Logan said:
Anyone? Anyone?

(Sorry, I added the above to the original by mistake.)

Yash, I invite you review ticket# 9818. I think that HSphere is not calculating the traffic correctly, and I fear that if this continues, by the end of the month, it will say I will exceed my monthly bandwidth allocation.

I know my site is a busy one, but the stats I get from the log files you provide are lower than that of HSphere.

You signed up on the 6th, so your traffic will be reset on April 6, midnight (a few hours from now)

Yash said:
You signed up on the 6th, so your traffic will be reset on April 6, midnight (a few hours from now)

Yash, I beg to differ. The stats have already reset because yesterday before heading off to bed it was at 10G or more, and now it's at 700M. So it's now 10:21 PM Apr 6 so I think it resets at midnight last night. What I'm trying to determine is why my log file stats show approx 450M from yesterday through HTTP, yet HSphere shows more (much more), and if it only updates once/day, then how can it show that muich traffic for today when today isn't over yet?

Yash said:
Hsphere also counts email and ftp traffic

I'm aware of that, and it is detailed, but I'm only looking at the HTTP traffic. The logs I downloaded from JH show approx 450M where as HSphere shows 700M or so. What's the difference in the numbers? And when does it start counting, since Apr 6 isn't over yet, and if it only calculates once/day, where does it get the 700M from?

traffic between the web server and the database server is counted as well as HTTP traffic. I'm not sure if that is recorded in the log files.

HSphere has a ISAPI DLL, I'm not sure if it uses that or the log files to calculate traffic usage. I'll let you know.

Yash said:
traffic between the web server and the database server is counted as well as HTTP traffic. I'm not sure if that is recorded in the log files.

HSphere has a ISAPI DLL, I'm not sure if it uses that or the log files to calculate traffic usage. I'll let you know.

Ref database traffic, that makes sense to me, and would account for the difference (will need to look at a way to reduce that).

But I'm still looking to understand when HSphere updates the bandwidth traffic used. If it runs over night, and my month starts on the 6th of the month, and it's now the 6th, shouldn't it show 0 (zero) until tonight when it processes the log files (or whatever)? Instead, it shows 700M. When did this 700M occur? Is this from yesterday (5-Apr)? This is not making any sense to me!

Yash said:

HSphere did not update at midnight EST (EDT really) or at 1 AM, but it has changed by 7:30 AM. So when does it update, and what time period does it include in its stats?

I don't exactly have an idea how the HSphere scheduler works. But yes, it normally happens within that period.

Yash said:
I don't exactly have an idea how the HSphere scheduler works.

I started to get that idea :) I might just join the psoft forum if I can and ask there. Someone must know. If this is how we could potentially be charged for extra bandwidth, I think I should know how it works.

No that's not the case.

HSphere does reset your monthly transfer at a fixed time every month. That time may vary by a few hours. So yes, a few hours of extra monthly transfer may get counted but I really don't think that is of any major concern

Back