Browser Upload of file to remote server

Hello,

Currently I am helping develop a website using PHP and mySQL on the backend... using the unix servers at jodo.

I have a standard form that allows the user to fill in general information and so forth that will by saved in a PHP database.

The user must attach an audio file .mp3 which is normally around 15MB, but could be smaller or larger.

Here's the tricky part, this file needs to go to an offsite storage server at Limelight. Basically limelight is a storage provider that does caching and has multiple points of presence for fast access.

Anyway, I need to know how or get some direction on the best of going about doing this. It seems like I may need a very rich web interface and have the file directly ftp'd to the site instead of sending it to jodo and then having the backend some how send it to limelight.

I look forward to your wisdom and thoughts.

Greg

eh, it is using a media distribution server with limelight, is the only interface to it using FTP?

Stephen said:
eh, it is using a media distribution server with limelight, is the only interface to it using FTP?

Yep... ftp is the current interface.

They do have any mode where we host the files and then they can pull from our site, but we chose to directly let them host the files so it doesn't waste bandwidth and storage here at jodo.

So... ftp is it at the moment. I'll email them and ask if there is another interface.

you could use an ftp push I guess, I would not know where to start, my PHP is not that hot :D

Stephen said:
you could use an ftp push I guess, I would not know where to start, my PHP is not that hot :D

Me either... I am not certain that pushing it up from browser to JODO and then to Limelight is the answer though... I may have to create a rich interface (require IE) so that it will be able to FTP to limelight directly.

Still looking...

Here is another suggestion given to me:

I would likely do it in the following form:
- a person uploads file to your server
- the file is stored in a temporary directory, e.g., /tmp/limelight/
- the server transfers the file via FTP
- the transfer is done via a cron job, a cron job is basically a script that can be run at a set interval, the script would likely:
- transfer a file(s) via FTP
- after the file is transfered it will delete the file in /tmp/limelight/ (or maybe you don't want to delete it, who knows)
- be sure to log transfers and send emails for errors
- be sure to have a lock file to prevent multiple instances of the cron script running

It was also suggested to NOT let the browser FTP to limelight via some tool due to security issues.

Based on the suggestion above can we have a cron job send a file via ftp to another server? Is that possible?

Thanks... still looking for ideas.

I think it could be possible, but I need to talk to Tanmaya or Deepak to see what we allow/disallow on the command line restrictions there.

Stephen said:
I think it could be possible, but I need to talk to Tanmaya or Deepak to see what we allow/disallow on the command line restrictions there.

Also is there a limit on the upload? Someone said the default is 2MB, but there were ways to overcome this limit. I didn't know if JODO had a forced limit on this. Most will be 10 to 15MB and probably just a few a day to start.

Thanks

Back