Can you change my website username?

Dave

Perch
During the site registration process, I entered a username that I thought was strictly for use as a login ID. I did not realize it was also going to be my account name, and used for my directory name, etc.

I understand I am not able to change this myself, but is it possible to have it changed by you to something more preferable?

Thanks!

That would be extremely difficult to change manually. If you are on a trial account, I recommend you signup for a new one

I suppose I would end up losing everything I just uploaded. It's not really that critical, but is quite an annoyance to have a weird directory name that has nothing to do with the site.

Do I have to notify you guys that I've cancelled the trail account (which I just started this morning)? Actually, I'm generally quite happy with how the site has transferred over. I may just re-apply and start a paid account with a new username. Hopefully know one there thinks I'm playing games applying for different accounts.

On another somewhat related topic, if I transfer my domain name over, which I'm not 100% sure how to do yet, will my users simply get directed to my old location until the transfer takes place and then automatically start showing up at the new location?

Thanks for the previous response.

Dave

Dave said:
will my users simply get directed to my old location until the transfer takes place and then automatically start showing up at the new location?
Technically I think yes, it depends on DNS servers around the world. The problem is that some users will still see your old site, while others already a new one, since each one of them use different DNS.

Re: Re: Can you change my website username?

StPatrick said:
Technically I think yes, it depends on DNS servers around the world. The problem is that some users will still see your old site, while others already a new one, since each one of them use different DNS.

If you are using a static site, then keep the sites on both servers and only delete the old one when the dns servers update around the world which is 24-72 hours after the changes are made.

You could also create a redirect on your old site for the time being if you are dealing with a database site. It's not as smooth but unfortunately the internet doesn't allow for immediate dns updates.

Just a couple suggestions...hope that helps.

Back