Cannot access Access database

riley

Perch
What has happened on Win5 since last night? I checked my sites last night (this morning) at about 2:00AM Eastern time and they were finally working. I checked them today at 6:00PM and got the following error on all of them:
Server Error in '/' Application
After submitting a ticket, the problem was fixed, but the tech did not explain what the problem was nor how he fixed it. I'd like to know.

But one of the sites cannot read the database located in the subfolder named /data
I reopened the ticket suggesting that permission was not set correctly and got a reply that said there was probably a problem with the dsn. I do not use ODBC, so dsn has nothing to do with the problem.

Here is the error from my log file:
Code:
The+Microsoft+Jet+database+engine+cannot+open+the+file 
(path and filename removed for this post)
It+is+already+opened+exclusively+by+another+user,+or+you+need+permission+to+view+its+data.

The ticket number is 41005. Somebody please look into this.

Also, somebody please explain what was changed since last night, causing my sites to be down all day today (Saturday). We are on our 4th day now!

riley

what has happened is psoft running their permissions script.

setscrt.exe for the curious, I have been trailing ebhind it working on permissions every since it started.

Stephen said:
what has happened is psoft running their permissions script.

setscrt.exe for the curious, I have been trailing ebhind it working on permissions every since it started.

You should keep those guys out of your servers; they are doing more harm than good.

(getting really pissed-off here)
riley

Should start working here in a minute. it is browsing OK, was a particular spot erroring out?

Stephen said:
Should start working here in a minute. it is browsing OK, was a particular spot erroring out?

The site in question is working fine now; thank you Stephen. I have another site that works the same way, but it seems to have no trouble with its database. I'll have to keep my eye on it, as the psoft script has probably just not gotten to it yet...

Thanks again Stephen.

riley

Go ahead and PM the domain to me (actually username is more helpful, I dont have to search) and I will keep an eye on it.
Never know when I will get any shuteye now, but it is ok....I am going good helping people.

Stephen said:
Go ahead and PM the domain to me (actually username is more helpful, I dont have to search) and I will keep an eye on it.
Never know when I will get any shuteye now, but it is ok....I am going good helping people.

Don't worry about the other site. Its database is used for very few things, so if it gets broken, the site will still work fine. But thanks for the offer...

riley

Everything should be 100% fine now
That permission script had to be run because NTFS permissions were not correct on some accounts. But in the process, it remove asp.net permissions (PSOFT was short-sighted on this I guess)

ASP.NET permissions were being corrected as the script progressed... your site was only down for a short while before Stephen got to your folder

I got the same problem on my sites too. I have submitted a ticket #41051. Do I need to submit for each of my site and database having same problem?

Back