Cannot access email

Anyone else having trouble accessing email? I cannot get to my account via Thunderbird or via the webmail (Horde, etc.)

When I go to mail.domainname.com I get a 403 error - "You are not authorized to view this page". Well, I should be authorized, I pay my bill each month!;)

I wonder if this is related to the DNS issues from yesterday?

DNS is screwed, but jodo is in denial about it.

I pinged mail.one_of_my_domains.com and got a dns lookup of:

I try to telnet to that address on port 110 .... no mail server listening there.

I don't know what that address points to, but it ain't a mail server.

I submitted a ticket yesterday, but they just ignored it for 4 hours and then denied everything.

I can't get a bit of work done until they fix it. All I can do is sit here and cruise the net for a new hosting company.

OJ

No need to open another ticket now. It's fixed, as I'm sure you knew before you posted that message.

Can you put back the day that's missing from my life?

Would you like to sit at your desk for over 24 hours and accomplish NOTHING ... only to find out afterward that it was all because the "help" desk lied to you?

How long does it take to type "We are having a dns issue and hope to have it cleared up soon"?

Somebody's unwillingness to type that sentence cost me an entire day.

24 HOURS WASTED FOR NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you imagine any reason I would want to keep doing business here? Or to reccommend you to any of the dozens of people I consult with on this issue each year? I can't.

I assure you, sir, your cowardly handling of this issue has cost you more than you will ever know... far more than just my business.

signed,
screwed for the last time by you....

Good Oyster said:
I wonder if this is related to the DNS issues from yesterday?

yes it was, mail.yourdomain.com mapped to mail.jodoshared.com domain. And the *.jodoshared.com domain's DNS record got corrupt, an issue PSOFT spent a number of hours working on.

All issues however have been resolved 24 hours ago. The DNS record issue did not affect your wesbite nor did it affect your email. However yes it did affect CP and webmail access for shared customers, for a short duration and I appologise for that

Yash said:
yes it was, mail.yourdomain.com mapped to mail.jodoshared.com domain. And the *.jodoshared.com domain's DNS record got corrupt, an issue PSOFT spent a number of hours working on.

All issues however have been resolved 24 hours ago. The DNS record issue did not affect your wesbite nor did it affect your email. However yes it did affect CP and webmail access for shared customers, for a short duration and I appologise for that

Sorry, Yash, but the DNS isue DID affect my website and my email. Since I could not get into HSphere and phpMyAdmin and make some needed changes to my site, it cost me one advertiser. And, since the DNS issue wouldn't allow me to access my email via my email client or via webmail, I missed several emails that I needed to reply to from customers needing assistance.

This whole DNS issue was poorly handled from the beginning, with tech support trying to convince us that the problem was on our end, and then once the issue was widely known, still telling people to do things like "Flush DNS", etc. It was definitely not the kind of thing I expected from your usually excellent support staff.

Your email wasn't affected, it was received by the server and you should have had no issue reaching the mailserver via outlook unless your ISP lost the old DNS cache rather quickly and wasn't letting go of the incorrect IP too fast.. In that case support did recommend to customers in several tickets to use the mailserver IP to connect temporarily.

The DNS issue was a very small scale issue that only temporarily affected CP and webmail usage. It affected no critical services, nor uptime. Tech support never was trying to cover up anything. The issue was a very extraordinary one that has never occured with us, and since our ISP had cached the correct IPs we and our monitoring systems were not picking up any issues. When we discovered the issue (i was woken up by support at 2AM), we called in our top guys immediately, got PSOFT to work on it and fixed it rather quickly. But the issue affected some customers rather longer (like yourself) because the incorrect IP was now cached and that is why we were still recommending flush dns

Yash said:
In that case support did recommend to customers in several tickets to use the mailserver IP to connect temporarily.

So how do I get on the list of people you help and off the list of people you ignore and/or lie to? If I had been told you had a dns issue and been given the mail server IP's, I could have gotten on with my life & work. All I got was a denial 4 hours after submitting a ticket.

And why wasn't this info posted to the forums? ... You know, that place that you made for informing customers about problems?

I wasted half a day trying to figure out what was wrong on my systems. And part of today will be wasted reinstalling stuff I uninstalled trying to fix it.

Nobody cares that you had a problem. Stuff happens. But your failure to own up to it is inexcusable. THAT failure is what cost me a wasted day, not the dns issue.

Yash said:
But the issue affected some customers rather longer (like yourself) because the incorrect IP was now cached and that is why we were still recommending flush dns

Please forward instructions for flushing my ISP's dns cache. While you're at it, please include a list of other handy things I can do with their servers from here.

OJ

Yash said:
Your email wasn't affected, it was received by the server and you should have had no issue reaching the mailserver via outlook unless your ISP lost the old DNS cache rather quickly and wasn't letting go of the incorrect IP too fast.. In that case support did recommend to customers in several tickets to use the mailserver IP to connect temporarily.

The DNS issue was a very small scale issue that only temporarily affected CP and webmail usage. It affected no critical services, nor uptime. Tech support never was trying to cover up anything. The issue was a very extraordinary one that has never occured with us, and since our ISP had cached the correct IPs we and our monitoring systems were not picking up any issues. When we discovered the issue (i was woken up by support at 2AM), we called in our top guys immediately, got PSOFT to work on it and fixed it rather quickly. But the issue affected some customers rather longer (like yourself) because the incorrect IP was now cached and that is why we were still recommending flush dns

Whitewash it or spin it any way you wish, Yash, but this was still a customer service and tech support failure. What you consider a "very small scale issue that only temporarily affected CP and webmail usage" I consider 6-8 hours out of my workday, maybe more. Oh yeah, add me to the list of folks who get told what the problem is and how to get around it. Here is what I was told in response to my last ticket about the webmail and POP3 being unavailable:
Hi,
Web mail http://mail.domain-I-cant-get-to.com is working fine and the IP has been corrected on the server side. Try flushing your DNS and waiting for a few hours if you cant immediately access it.

Feel free to contact us if this issue persist.

Regards
Yogendra

Want to know what was really funny? When I tried to respond to Yogendra's email ([email protected]) to let him know things STILL weren't working, the email bounced! Probably not Jodohost's fault (what is?), but still funny in an ironic sort of way.

P.S. Any idea what caused the DNS problems to begin with? Or is that information too sensitive to share?

Back