CF account and MS SQL Problem

Hi,

I've just signed up for a CFvalue account and was very eager to test out CF with MSSQL. However, I found out that I could not use the database admin tool because my CF account doesn't have ASP or ASPNet.

I submitted a ticket and was told that my account doesn't support AspEnterprise. How then do I manage the MSSQL server? I want to be able to manage the database not only from my local computer but also from other computers.

Can someone help out with this problem? I was so happy to get started and I thought Jodohost different because it prides itself on customer service.

Cheers,

Hi Yash,

Thanks for your reply, I've been trying to work this problem out with your support team, however, I think you are the best person to help me with this.

I understand that I can use this software, however, I have to install this software an account that has ASP or ASP.net, I only have a CF account which now doesn't have neither.

Wouldn't it be more convenient if you set up aspEnterprise on one of your ASP machines and let all of the CF accounts be able to use this client via your aspEnterprise Client. This would save us the inconvience of each individual CF account to set up their own client. (Before the CF and ASP accounts were separated, this problem did not exist. The separation made economic sense, however, it is causing quite an inconvenience for the CF accounts).

Case in point: I've spent roughly 12 hours since I opened my account trying to get access to the MsSQL database.

I also tried to get to the server via Enterprise Manager from my local machine, however I've got a Time Out problem. I put in the ticket about 7 hours ago and still no reply. Ticket number #46173. I don't know why things are taking so long to solve quite a simple matter.

Since you are the CTO, I hope that I am addressing the right person for this problem.

Cheers

There has been a delay in responding to tickets due to the mail server migration. Please update it asking about the status and it'll be looked into shortly

www.aspenterprisemanager.com can be used to access your database immediately, no need to install it in any particular location

However, we had installe Web data administrator for sql server. I'll give you the details on that a little later

Thank for your quick reply,

I did check out www.aspEnterpriseManager.com a few hours before. It does seem to work. The only thing is that I am not very confident in using a software client that says :
"Demo Alpha Release 0.5.0 (VB Release) - Do not use to modify production databases"

When I checked out the site, I could see databases from other users in the listing along with the northwind and pubs databases. I think this is a good tool to use, but I need a bit more confidence in who is hosting this tool because I need to be careful with my database.

Maybe you can help me with getting my Enterprise Manager that's on my local machine to work. In my previous ticket, I uploaded a screen shot of my Enterprise manager's settings. Strange that it's not connecting because I can connect to your MsSQL server from www.aspEnterpriseManager.com.

In EM, are you using TCP/IP and not Named Pipes?

We use the exact same software for webadministration with our packages

Yash,

I can connect with SQL Query analyser but still getting the same "time out" problem with the server registration.

It seems that the alias that's setup with tcp/ip works but somewhere it's not being taken up by EM.

Latest update on the timeout problem:

I changed the connection time in EM from 4 to 10 sec.
(tools > options > advanced > login Times = 10 sec)

This seemed to work as I can now connect to your SQL server, however, when I tried to get a listing of the databases, EM hangs.

Do you have any ideas of what the problem is ?

Yash, I found the answer to the slow listing in EM from Megan's posting in the forum.

"On another host I have had it take 10 or 15 minutes to show the list of databases when trying to access my own with EM - This is a known issue with SQL Server 2000 and can be resolved using latest SQL Server 2000 Service Pack. It must be resolved on client's machine. Please follow this link for instruction on how to resolve the problem: http://support.microsoft.com/suppor...s/Q282/4/16.ASP

It will help but it is a very large download if you are on dialup

hth - megan"

I'm downloading the sp3a from microsoft and will test this out. It might be helpful to put all of this info in a startup guide for those who have just bought a CF account to save them time and headache.

Cheers

Back