changing NameServers at godaddy.com

ricka0

Perch
SH00TER.COM

The nameservers for this domain are currently
set "Read-Only" because the domain is locked.

Nameserver 1:pARK7.SECURESERVER.NET
Nameserver 2:pARK8.SECURESERVER.NET

--------------------
Do I need to request a change? I've got several other domains at goDaddy.com I'll need to xfer.

You are at godaddy, you will first have to set them to unlock, then create your nameservers(godaddy and most others hide this, but godaddy calls is "Domain Hosts Information" and NOT nameservers, it is a bit confusing.) Then after creating the nameservers you can set them to the custom nameservers for your domain.

Dbl thanks - that worked. I made a nice JPG of the tricky screen with the nearly hidden links to unlock - I can email it to you if you like

I'll be sure to get all my new cust domains here for now on.

--ricka

Does anyone know how to accomplish this (creating your own nameservers) at Yahoo Small Business Solutions? You think GoDaddy is confusing... try Yahoo!

The challenge is on! I'm curious if anyone can figure this out.

You've obviously never had to deal with Yahoo support. I called there twice yesterday, and wasted a couple hours trying to explain what I wanted.

I'm sure I'll have better success in this forum!

I think we're on the same track... However, I found that you need a registry key (which I don't believe Yahoo provided) to transfer the domain to MelbourneIT. They're not making this very easy!

Does anyone know how to find or recover this "registry key"?

This can be a lesson to new resellers before they register a domain through Yahoo. X(

I don't think you need to transfer it to them, as it is techically already with them. Some said you could request a password recovery with the address associated with your domain, and it would send you a password to their control panel.

Yes, there is a recovery function, but not available to those who registered through one of MelbourneIT's resellers (Yahoo). I guess I'm back to trying to deal with Yahoo customer support.

Once I've got this resolved, I'll post step-by-step instructions on how to do this if your domain is registered through Yahoo.

In the mean time, any other suggestions are welcome.

:D Transfer was something that I should have considered!

So... it's finally been done! (supposedly) Wow!

Here's what is required:

1) Call Yahoo domain support ( 1-866-849-8258 )
2) Request that your own personal name servers be registered. (The support people are supposed to know how to escalate this).
3) Keep asking, and asking, until you talk to someone who knows what they are doing.
4) Yahoo submits the request to their engineering department
5) After the request has been processed a confirmation email will be sent to you.

I talked to 3 different support people who didn't know how to do this, pretended not to, or didn't know what I was talking about. I finally asked to speak to a supervisor (Bill) and he knew what I wanted right away and was very helpful.

Moral of the story: If you don't get what you ask for... keep asking.

Hope this is helpful.

Web guy - the reason I switched to JodoHost is their OUTSTANDING SUPPORT

I switched from Yahoo to GoDaddy because GoDaddy was cheaper and had better support. Then I posted a question here that goDaddy gave the wrong answer to ( Apache case insensitive URI look up). - JodoHost gave the right answer (which I didn't know at the time) and I wasn't even a customer yet!

Now I'm a customer - JodoHost not only has the best cust support - they have the best rates.

I suppose someday another hosting company might be a few pennies cheaper, but their prices are so reasonable at this point price does not differentiate selecting hosting companies. Most important is compentent / expidious support and a well run company that is going to say in bussiness and prosper. In all these accounts I don't think there is any equal to JodoHost.

I have no connection to JodoHost other than being a happy customer. I wish I had some stock options in them tho :)

Here is an official response from Yahoo!:

If you would like to register nameservers (host names) such as ns1.yourdomain.com (replace the host name with actual host name provided by the customer) for your account, Yahoo! Domains Services will need to verify you.

Please send your request to [email protected], making certain that you include the following information:

* Yahoo! ID
* Domain Name
* Zip Code, Alternate Email Address, or Date of Birth (provide only one)
* Last 8 digits of the credit card used to pay your account
* Credit card type
* Description of the record desired, including nameservers (host names) to be registered and their valid IP addresses (all that apply)
* In the 'Subject' line of your message please put: Nameserver Registration for "yourdomain.com"

Once the above information is received, please allow 24 to 48 hours for your required nameservers (host names) to be registered.

Hope this helps someone who is struggling to register their own nameservers with Yahoo! :rolleyes:

Back