CMSs supported

What CMSs do you support and which systems are currently running satisfactorily on your Win and Linux systems.

I am evaluating a number of CMSs. However the range is bewildering.

If you 1) support or 2) don't support or have any experience (positive or negative) with CMSs other than DotNetNuke could you please post here. That would assist me or influence me in my choice.

2) Also, can you tell me the complete hardware config on the Linux boxes. Ram, CPU, Raid config etc. The information on the promo sheet is thin. ie. Opteron.

3) Are all dbs for the Linux packages located on dedicated db servers separate from the web server.

4) What is the average/typical number of sites on a machine & according to logs what is the average/typical expected page hit on each server over 24 hours.

I look forward to your answers,
regards,
Andrei

If you 1) support or 2) don't support or have any experience (positive or negative) with CMSs other than DotNetNuke could you please post here. That would assist me or influence me in my choice.

>We have clients using everything from custom CMSes up to Joomla, Mambo, DNN, Community Server, etc. We can't support those needing java server pages but MOST php/perl/asp/asp.net can be supported.

2) Also, can you tell me the complete hardware config on the Linux boxes. Ram, CPU, Raid config etc. The information on the promo sheet is thin. ie. Opteron.

> The server configs vary, but we have gone to using an opteron platform on new servers. Our base config at this time is at least:
dual opteron 246
4GB RAM
RAID5x3 73GB, or RAID1 146GB SCSI

We may go to using a woodcrest platform in 2007, but at this time we are sticking to the opterons. We had our experiment with SATA, and were not impressed overall. We will be using SCSI or SAS future servers.
3) Are all dbs for the Linux packages located on dedicated db servers separate from the web server.

>This is true for all SQL servers, they are on their own servers.

4) What is the average/typical number of sites on a machine & according to logs what is the average/typical expected page hit on each server over 24 hours.

> The number of sites varies by load, we monitor them very closely and insure page loads are fast. The time per page fully depends on the type of page, static html is certainly going to load faster than a dynamic page at any time, but we try to keep them all loading quickly.

thanks Stephen,
You packed all the info in.

With a tag like 'honcho with a poncho' I assume you are not working from Jodohost's premises in India then.I assumed Jodohost offices were in India in India...

The specs you provided fit those 'weighed' in the MySource matrix doco, though they recommend strongly that PHP acceleration extensions be used.

Do the linux boxes have anything like that installed.

thanks,
Andrei

I am in based in Texas, but am flying to Miami ins just a short number of hours now, to be there for some Psoft(developer) Maintenance, and I mainly handle windows issues and operations management. I do not know the PHP/linux answer, but will send a note to Tanmaya and Deepak to check it out :)

Wondering if you've had time to check whether JH has php acceleraters on Linux hosts. I didn't get another post from your colleagues.

I read somewhere that using PHP Accelerator and Zend Compiler...(if it is a compiler) (Zend.com) will provide performance equal to .Net. The advice was not supported by any benchmark test.

Just wondering because the performance of straight PHP on some test with long integers has proven to be up to 70 times slower than .Net.

That being said, the PHP CMS(s) I am looking at as an alternative to .Net will be producing mostly I/O code. Where PHP is quite fast unassisted by the above. However, if JHost is not intending to run any accelerators at least, then maybe I need to reconsider .Net CMSs.

regards,
Andre.

In principle - the compiled CMSs (e.g .NET or JSP based ones) are faster than interpreted ones (eg php, Perl, or CF), but all that is relative - a website with small to moderate load would perform fine in an interpreted environment. The accelerators claim it can be sped up, but I am not convinced either... From my knowledge JH does have Zend installed, I remember something that I installed required it (but that is last year). Still - I know very little about accelerators... Stick to .net on Windows if you have a high load site.

Back