Com+

Hi everyone,

I am digging deeper in Asp.net now and I would like some direction in the COM+ area. What's such a big deal about COM+ in the real world programming? I read some stuff online but still not too clear. All I know is that it is somewhat like web services.

Anyone has any good resource for a beginner in COM+? Thanks in advance!:D

You can understand it in parts:
1. COM
2. 3-tier/multi-tier architecture
3. MTS

I cant recommend any, but a good book can always help.

I've bought books for my programming, but I most of the time end up just searching the internet. Don't really wanna follow the books, too slow:D or too lazy.

I am currently going through MSDN
but I don't find MSDN easy to understand.

I guess he was there, but having problems. It doesnt seems to be meant for starters

Funpolice said:
Hi everyone,

I am digging deeper in Asp.net now and I would like some direction in the COM+ area. What's such a big deal about COM+ in the real world programming? I read some stuff online but still not too clear. All I know is that it is somewhat like web services.

Anyone has any good resource for a beginner in COM+? Thanks in advance!:D

What exactly do you want to know? Basically, it's just a way of accessing DLLs in an object-oriented environment. So, instead of mucking about with imported DLL and API code like in classic C++, you just "attach" a COM-compliant DLL to your project, create an instance of the object and start using its properties and methods.

Is that what you're after? I mean, each COM component will be different (i.e. the properties and methods will be different) but to start using them it's as easy as including them in your project.

You can use .NET's Object Browser tool to look through the properties and methods of any COM object you've included in your project, as well as all the built-in system objects.

LOL Oh ok, Thanks Antic! that's been clear to me then. I wasn't so sure about the concept of COM+. But after your explaination. It sounds like exactly what I have been doing, building dlls and making referrence/importing them to my proejcts and using them.

There's one thing I am not sure about is that: i went to MS's COM+ section and found that went you have a COM+ component, you should add it to the system from the Component Services --> using the component explorer etc...

then you can configure security in roll access etc..

Can you tell me the concept behinds this. I may sound silly with these bunch of question, but they really bugging me. Thanks again.

I've never been in a situation which required me to fiddle with com security & roles, so can't answer that one.

As far as I know COM+ is treated in .NET the same way as any other component, that is you use the "Add Reference" project option to add .NET and COM components to your project. It's all very straightforward.

There are performance hits for using COM (i.e. non-.NET) components in a .NET project.

Thanks. Let me dig deeper see if i can figure it out about the security stuff. Thanks Antic, you have been very active on answering my question..

FYI: after all these year trying to learn the .net in c#. and now i got a position doing asp 3.0.. is that ironic? X(

Indeed. :) Might have been easier learning it first in VB, if that's your primary lingo. Is with me.. I haven't gone near C#, doesn't seem to be any need with .net - the language (J, C, VB and soon Delphi) is purely personal preference. Thank god, VBers are no longer an underclass yay! :)

I know. But I do had some background of vb. because i took computer programming in college which taught me c, c++, vb but all windows programming, i don't think i remember any :D

But i guess life is all about learning. I like c# because it's java sort of and it's syntax. = personal preferrence too LOL

Back