Confused about options...

StPatrick

Perch
With recent change in hosting options, I'm really confused now. Maybe someone can clarify it? :)

I have a Silver package (ex-Pro). It says the quota is 400Mb. Does it affects new users only or old customers as well? If all, then why I still see 200Mb quota in HSPHERE? Same with bandwidth. Now it says 9Gb per month, but I still see 12Gb in control panel. But this is probably because it will updated when my billing period finishes (each month)

Databases - I'm not sure I understand that. For Silver package it says: MSSQL - 2, PostgreSQL - 2, MySQL - 2. This means I can create 2 database of each kind (total 6) or I can create total 2 databases in any category in package boundaries? Kinda confusing :)

No offense, just want to know :)
Thanx in advance

the new package will only kick-in for you on the start of your new billing term. Even after that you'll continue to get 12GB till January 10, 2004

The database questions remind me of a question I've wanted to ask about for a while, but keep forgetting. I don't understand the part about 2 databases. Why, for example in the case of MS SQL, would I want 2 databases, when I can presumably just add as many tables as I want in a single database?

Thanks!

Dave said:
The database questions remind me of a question I've wanted to ask about for a while, but keep forgetting. I don't understand the part about 2 databases. Why, for example in the case of MS SQL, would I want 2 databases, when I can presumably just add as many tables as I want in a single database?

Thanks!

If you create multiple, non-related sites, you'll probably want each site to have it's own database. If, for example, you create a site from which you sell widgits, and you create another that calculates the use of whatsits on the Internet, it would be a good idea for each site to have it's own database.

Good point. Thanks for the reply, riley. I think I'd probably still use a single database for different sites that had only my own stuff in them. But if I created a site that had someone else's data in it I'd probably feel better having a different database. I use multiple MS Access databases for my site, but that's only because it isn't very scalable. I don't think it makes much difference in SQL Server whether you have 5 or 100 tables (or more).

No, not a big difference. But if you want to add, for example, forums on each of your sites, you will HAVE to separate them (assuming you'll use the same forums software), otherwise you'll get it messed up. So it is really good idea to use a different database for each site.

Back