control panel and mail down??

Logan

Perch
When I try to access the control panel, I get a "cannot find server or DNS error" message. ANd when I try to access mail with my local mail client, I get a server not available. When I try to access mail through http://mail.jodohost.com, I get redirected to the main jodohost.com page.

What's up?

We were facing problems on our name servers especially with the dns zone jodohost.net. This had caused the incorrect server aliases and name servers to show in the control panels of new customers. To correct it, we had to recreate the dns zone but that ran into problems. We eventually fixed it (5 minutes ago) and everything is working fine now. Thankfully there was no downtime and it was just an issue where you temporarily couldn't access the mail and CP servers.

Re: Re: Re: control panel and mail down??

Yash said:
is it working now for you?

Well it is now over 9 hours since my mail has not been working. EVERYTHING was down except my websites and the jodohost website. Mail is STILL bouncing back and I still cannot retrieve any mail that did make it through. I don't know when this started but I haven't been able to get anything since at least 6:30pm EST. It is now 3 am EST and it is still not working.

I knew it was an ip issue because everything seems to be redirecting to 69.61.30.175.

These problems are really starting to get on my nerves!!!

To top it all off...still no response from the email I sent to [email protected] after sending an email to the other emergency address that bounced back to me.

How are you connecting to the mail server?
Ping mail.jodohost.com and tell me what you are getting. If you are getting *.18 change your incoming/outgoing to: 69.61.29.20

Also, you can use webmail and you'd see that all your mails have come through. The mail server was down very briefly for about 15minutes. Most email systems try to send emails for upto 24 hours before failing so its unlikely you would have missed any email.

the only thing i noticed was that the control panel went down for an hour. My site as well as mail continued to function throughout. I just received a 2MB file from a friend... Pinging mail.jodohost.com returns me *.20

Yash said:
How are you connecting to the mail server?
Ping mail.jodohost.com and tell me what you are getting. If you are getting *.18 change your incoming/outgoing to: 69.61.29.20

Also, you can use webmail and you'd see that all your mails have come through. The mail server was down very briefly for about 15minutes. Most email systems try to send emails for upto 24 hours before failing so its unlikely you would have missed any email.

OK....sorry...you did reply to the email..but I couldn't retrieve it.

I changed outlook from mail.xxx to .20 address and got my mail so I guess I should be happy about that...but when is that going to stop working and I need to change it again?

Not all mail has been coming through either. I just sent myself an email from my yahoo account and it was bounced back. Earlier I had someone else send me email and it bounced back as well. Not all companies try for 24 before giving up AND nor should they. This problem is more than just your mail server going down for 15 minutes. The domain names are not resolving correctly. For example...mail.yorri.com is still being redirected to jodohost.com.

I hope that the problem has been fixed and it is only a matter of propogating the ips because things are still not working the way they were Saturday morning.

FreeWilly said:
the only thing i noticed was that the control panel went down for an hour. My site as well as mail continued to function throughout. I just received a 2MB file from a friend... Pinging mail.jodohost.com returns me *.20

Well the forum, control panel AND webmail were down for a minimum of 6:30pmEST to about midnight when the forum at least came up...but everything else was still not working. I even called a friend who uses a different isp and he confirmed the same thing...I wanted to make sure it wasn't my isp that was the problem.

FreeWilly said:

You probably didn't notice as much downtime if you had been connected without rebooting or disconnecting. The user malemanes as able to retrieve his mail up until about 10 o'clock before his went down but that was becuase his computer was caching the old...correct ips. I, on the other hand had shut down my machine so when I came back this evening I was getting the wrong ips which I am still getting.

However, the forum is back up and available to me and now that I have added the new ips to outlook I can at least get my mail...the mail that gets through that is.

Re: Re: control panel and mail down??

yorri said:
Not all mail has been coming through either. I just sent myself an email from my yahoo account and it was bounced back. Earlier I had someone else send me email and it bounced back as well. Not all companies try for 24 before giving up AND nor should they. This problem is more than just your mail server going down for 15 minutes. The domain names are not resolving correctly. For example...mail.yorri.com is still being redirected to jodohost.com.

I hope that the problem has been fixed and it is only a matter of propogating the ips because things are still not working the way they were Saturday morning.

mail.yorri.com is displaying correctly for me. Could you please post the return email from your yahoo account. We'll have a look at this. This is more of an issue of caching than IP propogation because the ip changes to place on our name servers.

Re: Re: control panel and mail down??

yorri said:
Well the forum, control panel AND webmail were down for a minimum of 6:30pmEST to about midnight when the forum at least came up...but everything else was still not working. I even called a friend who uses a different isp and he confirmed the same thing...I wanted to make sure it wasn't my isp that was the problem.

The forum was down for totally different reasons.... we were trying to install a hack when this problem occured and we had to leave it like that.

The Control Panel and webmail (a part of the CP server) were indeed down for about for about 5 hours but the mail server only for 15 minutes and the web servers not at all. We always treat web, mail and database as the most essential services and we were able to keep them online for the majority of the time is what I believe matters the most.

Yash said:
mail.yorri.com is displaying correctly for me. Could you please post the return email from your yahoo account. We'll have a look at this. This is more of an issue of caching than IP propogation because the ip changes to place on our name servers.

I still cannot get to the control panel yet either.

Here is the yahoo message. The ip address they are trying to reach is the same ip I get when I ping mail.yorri.com

I removed the names of the email accounts because I don't want those addresses collected by spiders coming to this site.

================================================

Message from yahoo.com.
Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).

<@yorri.com>:
69.61.30.175 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for @yorri.com
Giving up on 69.61.30.175.

--- Original message follows.

Return-Path: <@yahoo.com>
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Received: from [24.201.154.] by web10505.mail.yahoo.com via HTTP;
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 00:11:49 PDT
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 00:11:49 -0700 (PDT)

Yash said:
The forum was down for totally different reasons.... we were trying to install a hack when this problem occured and we had to leave it like that.

The Control Panel and webmail (a part of the CP server) were indeed down for about for about 5 hours but the mail server only for 15 minutes and the web servers not at all. We always treat web, mail and database as the most essential services and we were able to keep them online for the majority of the time is what I believe matters the most.

Well the ONLY thing that worked for me was my website. Mail has been bouncing back...the forum was down, the control panel was down AND the emergency email @jodohost.com was bouncing back and I couldnt get to my mail so you have to understand my frustration and confusion because I couldn't do anything that involved your servers.

We are looking into why that email bounced.

I'd just like to point to our record prior to undertaking this datacenter shift. Apart from one MSSQL3 problem, we were maintaining very high uptime on all our servers. The whole point of this shift was not only to correct the blocked IP problem but to be in a datacenter that our company has good business ties with. For example, in global compass, we were extremely limited in standby servers. If we had one available during the MSSQL3 problem, we could have had the server up in 30 minutes. In the new datacenter, we'd have alot of flexibility. We virtually have unlimited standby servers if we ever need them. We have flexibility in the IP addresses assigned to us, our IP blocks, server backups, etc. We have a very good emergency administration contract with them as well...

We have one more set of changes coming up very soon that involve the installation of better software (hordemail), installation of a new information system for downtime and server status and introduction of reseller packages. Once these changes are completed, I can guarantee you these sort of problems will be a thing of the past.

Try sending a test email from your yahoo account now and tell me if you receive it. It appears now that the mail server is resolving correctly from all major ISPs.

Well, my website wasn't down definately... i don't use the control panel anymore these days so don't know about that. I did check my email though several times within the time frame Yorri posted (after converting that to UK time of course :)) and I didn't notice any problems...

is it just me?

OK. We had originally thought this problem was due to ISP caching but we now realize this is due to a major DNS issue which we are working to resolve. We are hoping it would be fixed within the next few hours and all these problems will disappear. An announcement has been made in the Critical Alerts section.

EDIT:
I'm sorry, my above reply was really meant for the MSSQL4 problem but since so many people have already seen it I'm not deleting it.

The major DNS problem is with MSSQL4. All email should be coming in at the moment. Yorri, please try sending an email via Yahoo and tell me if it comes through. This problem should be completely resolved within a few hours as emails from some domains may still be rejected.

Back