cooking - techniques, new spices, or something else to share that doesn't merit an entire thread?

Stephen

US Operations
Staff member
Some essential spices/ingredients I use often that people may overlook.

Cloves

Cardamom - amazing subtle flavor when used sparingly.

Tarragon

TrueLemon/TrueLime powered lemon or limes, far better than the store bought lemon or lime juices, and works really well, in some things like a dry powder for blending with other spices it works better than real fresh squeezed fruit.

Must be a slow day at the datacenter if you're posting cooking threads :) (I suppose that's a good thing...)

Try fenugreek, if you can get it. Mostly used for Indian dishes, sparingly. It has a flavor all of its own. It reminds me of maple syrup.
Personally, I can't make anything without cumin... and I hate tarragon. I'm originally from the UK, where Indian-style food is more popular then the traditional fish and chips. I miss my favorite balti house, but I can now make my own great naan bread! (I miss good fish and chips, too, come to think of it...)

I also love clove-flavored e-liquid, but now you've got me thinking of making a curry-flavor one. That'll make me popular with the missus, no doubt :)

Other than the obvious Foie gras which is made from goose liver of a force fed overfattened goose. I would say doing it sous vide for a couple hours with some spices like olive oil, garlic, onion, maybe a touch of brandy would be really good. You could also add some rosemary, lavender, or a couple other pungent spices to it to make a good dish. The texture is going to be the biggest off factor with goose liver I believe, which is one reason it is whipped out into pate or foie gras most of the time. You could do the sous vide prep and then emulsify/whip it into a pate as well.

Back