cooking - techniques, new spices, or something else to share that doesn't merit an entire thread?

Discussion in 'My Hobby(ies)' started by Stephen, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Stephen

Stephen US Operations Staff Member

Some essential spices/ingredients I use often that people may overlook.

Cloves

Cardamom - amazing subtle flavor when used sparingly.

Tarragon

TrueLemon/TrueLime powered lemon or limes, far better than the store bought lemon or lime juices, and works really well, in some things like a dry powder for blending with other spices it works better than real fresh squeezed fruit.
  2. bro

bro Perch

Must be a slow day at the datacenter if you're posting cooking threads :) (I suppose that's a good thing...)

Try fenugreek, if you can get it. Mostly used for Indian dishes, sparingly. It has a flavor all of its own. It reminds me of maple syrup.
    Personally, I can't make anything without cumin... and I hate tarragon. I'm originally from the UK, where Indian-style food is more popular then the traditional fish and chips. I miss my favorite balti house, but I can now make my own great naan bread! (I miss good fish and chips, too, come to think of it...)

I also love clove-flavored e-liquid, but now you've got me thinking of making a curry-flavor one. That'll make me popular with the missus, no doubt :)
  3. gilajodoh

gilajodoh Guppy

have any idea about goose liver? how to create it so it will be tasty.
    thank you.....
  4. Stephen

Stephen US Operations Staff Member

Other than the obvious Foie gras which is made from goose liver of a force fed overfattened goose. I would say doing it sous vide for a couple hours with some spices like olive oil, garlic, onion, maybe a touch of brandy would be really good. You could also add some rosemary, lavender, or a couple other pungent spices to it to make a good dish. The texture is going to be the biggest off factor with goose liver I believe, which is one reason it is whipped out into pate or foie gras most of the time. You could do the sous vide prep and then emulsify/whip it into a pate as well.