Creating a nameserver for client ns1.clientname.com

xscott

Perch
Wondering what needs to be set in a plan so that a client would get thier own nameserver alias?

Thanks.

It just happens I believe. All of my clients have ns.thierdomain.com as aliases. Just points to ns.yourdomain.com

It doesn't happen automatically. You would need to enable the "Custom DNS Record" option for their plan, and then add a custom A or CNAME record for the nameservers.

Should your nameserver IPs ever change, an A record would require manual updating, but it provides slightly better anonymity of hosting.

I have created an A Name in Clients Hshpere control panel pointing to the IP addresses for my Name Server.(yes the new ones: 204.x.x.x)

Unsing ns1.clientname.com and ns2.cleintname.com they ping back with the correct IP address, but when I try to use them in the Custom Name Server for Godaddy on a test domain of mine, I get a "unavailable error in field Host name1" and "name2".

Is there something more I have to do?

Thanks.

Yes, you need to add them in domain hosts summary, a few tables BELOW nameservers.

After adding them, you need to set them in the nameservers, and it will work,note that sometimes it takes 1-2 hours before they will work, as domainhostssummary has to be updated in their systems.

Back