Customer Support

Yash said:
Oh yes, as rightly pointed out by Stephen.. you are using the wrong host name to connect...

First of all, this is the first time in my life I'm hearing that I need to use "mail3". I know for a fact that I used to use "mail." and it worked fine until two days ago. I don't know what exactly they did the first time I sent a ticket but it was working fine - nobody ever told me I was using the wrong host.

Second of all, if your customer service replies for the ticket I submitted were so damn perfect, why none of this was pointed out to me and no attempt was made to further research what the problem would be since I kept saying that my mail isn't working? The only professional communication for this problem was from Stephen.

This is the whole reason I started this thread - nobody tells me what the hell could be wrong, just closed the ticket because it's the easiest thing to do. If there was proper and professional communication from the beginning this whole problem would have been solved in minutes instead of making it what it turned out to be.

LevelHosting said:
And lastly, you know damn well that most customer service replies have the most broken English ever and are therefore completely unprofessional.

I have not seen any hint of unprofessionalism or broken english in any of the tickets you have created. If you can point to a specific ticket ID, i'll be happy to look into it.

Our techs may not be 100% perfect in their grammer or spellings, they do at times make mistakes with that and I have seen that happen. But I have not seen them communicate ineffectively. I have not seem them giving a confusing answer. If it happens, it happens rarely. Our techs are trained above all to solve issues. Unlike many hosts, our server admins directly handle support. We have no delegated a separate team for doing support. This allows our team to answer questions more effectively and faster, rather than going through multiple people to get a simple answer, answered

LevelHosting said:
Second of all, if your customer service replies for the ticket I submitted were so damn perfect, why none of this was pointed out to me and no attempt was made to further research what the problem would be since I kept saying that my mail isn't working?

Purely because you never replied back to nidhi. Nidhi asked you to report back to her if the issue continues, you chose not to and the issue was deemed to be resolved. If you had responded back with the password and the error, they would have investigated more and given you a solution.

We deal with issues like this all the time. But you have chosen simply to attack our support team and call the techs extremely unprofessional

Levelhosting,

mail.domain.com is the typical method, but does not apply for service domains.

However, I will note to support to check that and communicate it to the customer, as they are used to it and might overlook something such as that, being that they seen it a number of times each day.

One thing that can be learned and of note to everyone on this is the mail page in H-Sphere, it has an overview like this:

Mail Service
Incoming POP3 Server mail3.domain.com (again from a subdomain, would be mail.domain.com for customers)
Outgoing (SMTP) Server mail3.domain.com(ditto)
Login The e-mail address you use (e.g. [email protected])
Mail traffic 1 KB used (since Sep 15, 2005)
Mail relay Click to disable mail2.domain.com ->mail3.domain.com

Our techs may not be 100% perfect in their grammer or spellings, they do at times make mistakes with that and I have seen that happen.

i have had tickets that are not perfect english, may have the odd spelling mistake here and there

but personally (from wot i remember) have always been able to understand what there saying

only problem for me about support is when they skim read tickets and (from wot it seems) only reading the first half deciding to guess the issue from that and answering, which does tend to be a useless reply as its unrelated to your ticket

its understandable and am sure only human to start to skim read when doing a repetitive task as to read tickets, but it can be a pain to have such a reply

maybe the support team should have a 5min break, or move onto a different task once they feel they're starting to skim read? and when they're ready get back into the tickets

also on the response times, ive rarely had quick responses to my tickets they tend to be 1hr+ (which can some times go up to 5hrs)
but in all fairness i rarely submit tickets, so maybe i when i do, i just happen to submit them at a busy time:(

You also said in the other post they are typically quite detailed and long :D

I addressed these concerns in the other thread, lets keep it there, I believe this issue is resolved now.

Does anybody mind if i say that i have found the support:

• Very Fast
  • Educational
  • Proffessional

It looks like the Support Team consists of Web Proffessions who know there Job inside out and backwards. The only problem i get is understanding the terminology used sometimes as i live in the UK.

If i was to improve the Support system i would make the user aware of FAQ's related to there question before they get connected to a Support Operator. So if the Nature of the question was about Emails ( selected from a drop down box ) the user would see a list of FAQ's related to Emails for there type of account etc...

I am very happy with the service that JodoHost offers and would reconmend to anybody.

my 2 cents...

Jodo support staff is pretty good with answering tickets and resolving issues. The only concern i've had in the past is the lack of communicating to the customer what caused the issue, and what was done to resolve the issue...

Honestly if the techs are knowledgeable do they really need to speak perfect english?

English speaking technical support services cost an arm and a leg to a hosting company, whereas overseas tech service of the same technical quality can be obtained at a mere -fraction- of the cost.

This is how JodoHost is able to offer the competitive pricing that they do. If you want perfectly english speaking technical support then you are going to have to spend a few more dollars.

I see this gripe on the forums frequently enough and wonder if Jodo and the gang should look into an additional english speaking team for those who simply cannot handle the broken english, you can charge an additional fee for this service to recoup your extra expenses and problem solved.

Just a thought.

Ryan

This is not about outsourcing or cost-saving. Being an Indian-based company, and hiring from where we operate, all our techs may not be able to speak super fluent english. But they are definately 100% qualified to answer all your queries and they indeed know sufficient english to give you a reasonable and professional answer

If you are complaining about the fact that they are using a "the" instead of an "a" or the similar, I do not consider that a legitimate complain. If you are complaining that one of our techs cannot be understood, we'll definately look into that.

We currently have staff in the US as well, but they are not involved in customer support at least for the moment. They are responsible for the management of our hardware and taking care of our relationship with our providers. We do however have full intentions to expand our US operations in the near future...

For what it's worth, I've found the English skills of Jodo staff to be superior to those of most Americans. Honestly, look at the atrocious grammar and spelling of some of the member posts in this thread.

It seems to me that some of those who find difficulty in understanding directions or explanations put forward by Jodo staff may be spending their efforts analyzing the language rather than trying to understand the technical issues.

Thanks to Yash and Stephen for their very professional handling of this issue.

I agree with this completely... although I have had very minor issues where it was a little difficult to get the support staff to understand exactly what I was trying to convey. But this has never been anything serious... It was simply a matter of explaining myself a little clearer.

In India, English medium school education is most prevalent. In these schools textbooks and medium of instruction is English. In professional colleges, textbooks and medium of instruction is invariably English. Now what lacks in some cases, richness of words, fluency of expression and understanding of lingo.

Ours is not a Call Center operation. In a Call Center, employees are trained for English language catering to local customers. Here it is our own staff, which serves you. Some in our new staff may not understand what "Howdy" is. Which is basically "Hello" most US customer from the West use.

Where possible, we are making them aware of most common lingo. However it will be very difficult to train them in lingo completely, as we serve all countries where English is a native language. With regards to fluency in English most of us here are Engineers and IT professionals therefore English is not an issue. In our staff, we have those who are born and brought up in US and have substantial web hosting industry experince. We are in an excellent position to guide the rest of us so that our customers get the best support.

Cultural differences are there as Atul rightly mentioned. So it's nice if you communicate with us or support, try being as objective as you can when explaining your issue. I have myself at times misinterpreted questions because some customers write 3 paragraphs about how the issue is affecting them, and 2 lines on what the actual issue is :)

We are an Indian team above all. We are not an outsourced team though. We hire and train the best people we find locally here and do our best to serve our customers from around the globe. Approximately 50% of our clients are US-based, however the remaining are from other countries. Some customers from say european countries (non native english speakers) have alot of trouble communicating with us in english. For them, it takes a great deal of effort for us to understand them. Surely we go to whatever lengths we can to fill a communication gap.

Back