DENIC Compliance?

DavidG

Perch
Hi -

I have Googled this to death and can not find anything definitive.

For DENIC and AFNIC compliance (hosting .de and .fr domains), the docs say you require:

"At least two name servers (but no more than five) must be indicated and these must always be accessible on redundant paths. When a domain is first registered, DENIC checks whether at least one of the first three bytes of the IP address of at least one of the name servers differs from those of the others indicated. If the name server is situated inside the domain that is being requested, its IP address must be indicated as well (a so-called glue record), for example ns.de-beispieldomain.de at the domain de-beispieldomain.de.

All the authoritative name servers for the new zone must be indicated. Also, all the matching SOA records (SOA = Start Of Authority) must be uniform and must fall within the following guidance values (indicated in seconds):

refresh : 10000 - 86400
retry: 1800 -28800
expire: 604800 - 3600000
ttl: 180 - 345600

All the nameservers specified in the request must be accessible and authoritative for the requested zone.

The following rules apply to the nameservers' zone data: the IN NS records must tally with all the nameservers specified in the request. The serial numbers should tally.

No CNAME to another domain may exist for the zone requested."

They even provide a test API to see if you are compliant: http://zonecheck.denic.de/

We have a secondary DNS server and get Success!! at bottom but a couple of warnings.

My question is this:
I have come across a number of posts indicating that people ran into issues because the zones actually must be spread across 3 DNS servers(!)

Does anyone have experience with this? I'm wondering if it is possible to pass the test, but if perhaps the test is not actually reflecting the number of DnS servers.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

never seen any REQUIREment of 3 DNS servers, I have seen some suggested, but never required.

Back