Disable DSPAM on my accounts?

My customers are growing increasingly frustrated with DSPAM. Important mail is being bounced and lost often enough that I'm having to consider a completely different solution for e-mail.

I really love JodoHost, and I want to stay a customer.

The major complaint with DSPAM is that false positive mail is being bounced. We don't mind some false positives being flagged as spam, but please go ahead and deliver it.

Bouncing an error back to the sender is crazy. If it's really a spammer, the bounce message is just noise and clogs up the net more. If it's a false positive, it just generates a support call for me. If you deliver it, we can filter them to a spam bucket, and false positives aren't lost - they just end up in the wrong folder.

How can we regain some control over DSPAM? Can I just opt out globally for all my accounts? Will I need to open a ticket for every existing and new account I create?

What is the best solution?

I'm not ranting, and I understand spam fighting is a major hassle and pain for everyone. I really appreciate Jodo's professionalism and attention to detail. I really do love hosting here.

E-mail is really a mission-critical item for my customers. I'm about to sign a contract with a city in my area to provide e-mail service for the entire city government - Police, fire, mayor's office, public library, etc. I want it to work for them without important e-mail being lost.

Update - another client just called me, three different business e-mails are flagged as spam and bounced back to the sender this morning.

I'll go open tickets now.

I originally posted this on another forum but doesn't come up on the new posts list so I've moved it here.

Unfortunately I've had to turn DSpam off for my only significant 'client', a school where my partner works and I volunteer IT support and provide free hosting.

The false positives were causing more pain than the spam. I don't think mail was being bounced, that might be a separate problem.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems that it is now not possible to enable Spamassassin without DSpam. Its all or nothing. Is that correct? I guess that is what fortress is asking for in a ticket.

The greylisting of residential IP traffic sounds good. Perhaps that by itself would be useful. Is there any way of having that without the rest of DSpam?

I think JodoHost has spent a lot of money on this, so for everyone's sake, I sure hope it works out well eventually. I guess the training of it is difficult because it would be unwise to allow just anyone to send it ham or spam because it would fast become polluted so I don't know what the answer is.

For now we're just going to have to give it a miss and have a think about what we're going to do. I still have Spamassassin running on a Linux VPS at another host which I use for a special purpose. That seems to work a lot better than Spamassassin by itself worked at Jodo before DSpam so I might route the school's mail through that.

Cheers
Ross

Fortress,

Dspam does not bounce mail, that would be controlled at the spamassassin level on the control panel.

Stephen,

I've seen examples this week where DSPAM bounced the messages. Or possibly I'm misunderstanding the error.

Here's an example, can you take a look and let me know what it means?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 8:34 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

This is the mail system at host dspam1.local.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<[email protected]>: host 204.14.110.252[204.14.110.252] said: 554
Sorry, this message appears to be spam (#5.6.0) (in reply to end of DATA
command)

Ok, I've double-checked the control panel in HSphere.

That domain was set to remove the mail, rather than just flag as spam.

I was positive I've never set that option before on any domain, but as a wise man once said.... It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble, it's what you Do know that isn't true...

So, I stand corrected on the bouncing issue. I'll go review all my other customers now.

Is it possible the default could have changed from an HSphere update along the way? It's probably easier to explain as my oversight and screwup.

I do not think the hpshere update should have changed this, but odder things have happened :)

A while back, I also had to re-visit all the domains to change the actions. All of the domains were changed to "delete" vs. "flag"

At some point something had to change the settings as I did not.

Back