Disk image backups?

In light of today's WinCF's crash/complete restoration, I was wondering if using apps such as Acronis TrueImage to create disk image backups would help speed up the restoration process for both Windows and Linux servers.

I understand that using a disk image backup you're backing up the bugs and other problems there may be with it. But in a situation where a server is down for several hours, a disk image could get things up and running quickly while a replacement server is being freshly loaded with a new OS with the latest patches and upgrades, and then migrate all the data off to the new replacement server.

Has that been considered? Are there problems with this idea that makes it not feasible? I'm not criticizing Jodohost's response to the issue today, but I'm just looking to see if there are ways to minimize downtimes when these things do happen.

cornflakes, on my understanding, that what they do... BUT they also have to restore the cps
So with hsphere lightening speed restore process :rolleyes: ...
thats what makes it go so slow.

Put that together with ... Cold Fusion... Windows... Murphy?s Law... and vois la... a true saga we have.

If I remeber right Jodo has used Acronis in the past and there have been problems with it. I am not certain but I remember reading something about it.

WinCF uses Acronis, and acronis has MAJOR hardware bugs on the new servers. Acronis was of no use in this case, for a large number of reasons, mostly being that the OS corruption has been happening for some time now, with the long reboot times.

Acronis isn't perfect.. we have a 100 server license key of Acronis and we did put quite some money behind the idea of ultra-fast restores using Acronis..

As Stephen pointed out, Acronis is having major issues with some of our new servers, which has been discussed on the Acronis forum. The only reason WinCF2 has been delayed by so long is because we have spent so much time trying to get Acronis to work...

Also, an imaging software can never be reliable. It's basically like taking a snapshot of the server just before you pull the power plug..

In the case of WinCF, we had images of the OS partition. But the OS partition has been having issues for a while. It's been taking 30min for reboots and there were other constant system issues so we felt it was best to install a fresh OS

Back