Disk Space Cost

Why are the disk space costs so insane at jodohost?
Let me ask this:

In order to be even remotely competitive at reselling hosting Lets assume I want to sell these packages to my clients (GB in terms of just disk space usage, lets forget about bandwidth for now):

10GB - $6.99
50GB - $8.99
100GB - $14.99

What does Jodohost have to offer me in something that I can resell these packages with?
A mere 4GB of disk space for almost $20/month is not gonna cut it.
The real question I would like answered is WHY? Disk space is cheap, a 1TB hard drive costs under $100.00 why do you not update your disk space usage?

Honestly, we have no interest in resellers selling 100GB plans. We don't offer them, and won't offer them.

We can't deliver such plans at $14.99 so we don't offer it ourselves. Truth be told, the other hosts can't either, but they offer it anyway.

100GB would be 9 users on a 1TB drive (which isn't even something we can use, and 9 not 10 because of the way HD makers do a 1000 instead of the proper 1024 in their counts)

a 1TB drive doesn't cut it either, it must be at least on RAID adding another HD, oh but then those drives don't run well in RAID, so you have to buy the enterprise model, almost 2x the cost, and then the RAID and server itself.

So, its not quite a straightforward as you may think, we are upgrading the resources with the migration quite a bit, as the drives went from 320's and 500's to 750's being used, giving us that ability and storage.

This doesn't count backups into the equation at all, for every GB storage you need at least 4x that for backups.

if it was as easy as daisy chaining some drives off an eSATA or USB port to offer space we'd have done that years ago :)

now I will say that we have some ideas for allowing higher storage, but it will be handled differently and without backups, and available over a different url, someone could use this a bit like a CDN to load from two sources at once on their site which loads things up faster to the user. that would be lower cost, but also an addon.

Back