DNN 3.0 statement

eko

Perch
Dear Stephen,

Although I don't use DNN, I'm very surprised at your statement without further explanation. Many web-developers use one or more sites to "test" beta software before using them on their production sites. To ensure that the tests will work they use the same remote server as for the production site,e xcept for a different domain.

Restricting installation of beta versions sounds alarming and big-brotherish, but also seems to signal that your servers are not safe, which is really worrying.

no, it is because the servers are not development and testing servers.

There has been and still is far to much debugging being done on live servers, it hurts everyone else on them

It is nothing about safety, but stability which I am striving to bring to a higher level for everyone, all the beta software testing is not in its place on a shared hosting enviroment.

eko,

The thing about Windows servers are that they can be affected badly by bad script and coding. Our team has noticed a number of server related issues since DNN 3.0 has been deployed on the server

In the interest of all our customers, we strong discourage installing DNN 3.0 till its out of BETA

Stephen said:
There has been and still is far to much debugging being done on live servers, it hurts everyone else on them

So many of these ASP issues, .NET issues or JET issues are caused by bad code. There is so little we can do to prevent them, and acting on them after it happens also takes so many hours of troubleshooting (which translates into money).

I do strongly strong encourage customers to use their local PC or server to debug sites. Do ensure that before you deploy your code, its of the best standard

I have been running an app on my account that is loosely based around DNN3 (it has much functionality cut away). It has been tested locally and we have never had any problems. Also the app does not need DBO rights or any special application settings. Are you saying that nothing based around DNN should be used?

I am sure that lots of peoples apps contain frameworks/code from other open source systems.

If you are having no issues with it, and believe the code is good and reliable, go ahead and use it. That's what our services are to be used for afterall

But if you have buggy code, and want to use our servers to beta test it (and in the process, your code goes into an infinite loop or something crashing IIS), we will object to it and would disable your site.

We will give you DBO and asp.net permissions if needed

Thanks Yash!

I will be careful I promise :)

It is always good to have a development setup at home or in the office. I know sometimes people are reluctant to set something up but not only is it much better for your web host, in general you can work so much faster!

Not to make people scared, if your code does crash the server or cause problems, what we do is temporarily suspend your site till you fix the bad code. We don't directly terminate or suspend customer accounts, and we do give alot of cooperation to customers that cooperate with us in such issues. So our policy is very lenient towards bad code

But what I do like to do is encourage customers to test their code and follow basic coding practises (like closing their DB connections!)

Hello,

I have close to 100 DNN sites running with Jodo.

I saw this post had an extra 2 cents today so am taking a minute to spend it.

I agree with Jodo's policy of not having known beta test software running on production servers. DNN 3.x was known Beta software.

Either test the software on a dev server you control or in the case of DNN, wait until the release version is out and then start to migrate. This advise is all over the official dnn forums, so it's not a Jodo idea.

The problems that can be caused by mixing known beta with production solutions is not one for any of us to have to deal with. I pay Jodo to manage servers using best pratices so I don't have issues with my clients sites. Beta on Production is not a best practice.

I also see that they leave the opportunity for one to add/test code on ones site and see if it's mature enough to go live, you can then disable the code if you see problems and save us all from the risk of sharing a server with you, or have them suspend the site that is causing an issue. Seems fair to me.

Keep in mind that if one does not want to have the issues that come with a shared solution - I am sure you can get a dedicated solution that you can blow up at will.

Pat

I agree. I have some DNN production sites running at Jodohost and I defenitively don?t want to have any Beta testing on production servers.

Rgds Petri

Back