DNS with ENOM or Jodo?

DavidG

Perch
VPS DNS with ENOM or Jodo?

Hi - I am following the DNS tutorial for creatying my name servers.

When I arrived at my ENOM account, however, it informs me that if I register a new name name server, it will become the default for all domain orders.

This would a problem as I am also hosting Linux via Modern Bill and have name servers already set up there for the Linux accounts.

I do also have a Jodo domain reseller account as well.

My question, finally, is:

1. I would like to keep everything in one place (ENOM), is there any way to register my new custom DNS without it "taking over" the ENOM account.

2. If not, can I use my Jodo doamin reseller account and register the name servers there? I have had the account for some time but have neglected it as I had other projects.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
David

Re: VPS DNS with ENOM or Jodo?

I honestly don't know the way enom works, but couldn't you just create the dns servers and use it on a single domain from the end user side instead of the reseller side where it pushes to all new domains?

I honestly don't know the way enom works, but couldn't you just create the dns servers and use it on a single domain from the end user side instead of the reseller side where it pushes to all new domains?

Sorry, Im not sure I understand your suggestion.

How would ENOM know what IP that ns1.david.com (or whatever) points to unless I register the new name server there?

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by using it on a single domain on the "end users" side?

Thanks!
David

you can create a nameserver for a single domain, that is not inherited by other domains on every main registrar I know of, making this as a nameserver does NOT have to make ti the default nameserver for every domain registered under your reseller account.

you can create a nameserver for a single domain, that is not inherited by other domains on every main registrar I know of, making this as a nameserver does NOT have to make ti the default nameserver for every domain registered under your reseller account.

In other words, if I just go ahead and create my name servers (n1.david.com -or whatever) via Plesk, and then go ahead and manually add a new domain (or update and existing one) in EnOM and use ns1.david.com for that particular domain, that should do it?

Thanks again for taking the time.

David

UPDATE: Ok - I think I got it now. It was just a bit circular. I created my name servers in Plesk, then registered them at ENOM. I then updated the domain itself (the 'david' in 'ns1.david.com') to the new name servers I had just created.

Kawal on Live Chat was very helpful as well when I got stuck at one point.

I guess Ill find out in about 48 hours if I got it or not. :)

Thanks again!

Final Update: It worked out just fine. Thanks again to you and Kawal for your assistance. For anyone else who views this post, ENOM actually does allow you to register new DNSs without the new DNS becoming the default for all new sign ups. I simply misread the fine print on that one.....

Back