Dolphin Server Requirements

Hi Folks,

My first question is are there any availabilities for VPS with reseller hosting? I am thinking not but just wanted to be sure.

I have been asked to setup a site using what is called Dolphin. I am copying and pasting the requirements below. They can also be seen here:

http://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/wiki/DolTech

Server Requirements:

•Linux/Unix (Red Hat, Debian, FreeBSD, Mandrake, etc.) or Windows OS
•Apache Web Server ver. 1.3 or higher.
• PHP 5.2.0 or higher.
•register_globals must be Off
safe_mode must be Off
exec() (executable files) must be allowed
allow_url_fopen should be On
allow_url_include should be Off
open_basedir should not have any value memory_limit should be 128M or higher
•mbstring, gd and xslt extensions must be installed.
• MySQL 4.1.2 and higher.
•The magic_quotes_gpc option must be disabled for Dolphin 7.x, but enabled for Dolphin 6.x.
•If security module is installed (such as mod_security for Apache), it should be able to be configured for specific folders (or disabled).
•Direct connection to boonex.com should be able to be established (i.e. connection without requiring proxy authorisation). This is required for license verification.
• GD library compiled with FreeType fonts (for photo processing) or ImageMagick as an alternative.
•Sendmail or Postfix programs for sending emails.
•Ability to create Cron Jobs.
•You should be able to run executable files (you would need it for ffmpeg.exe, which converts videos).

Server Requirements for Media Streaming
Some of the Dolphin's features (such as Flash Chat, Flash IM, Boards, Video Recorder, Video Comments) require media streaming capabilities. To use those, you need to make sure that the following requirements are met:

•VPS or Dedicated server is generally required in order to be able to install and run RMS (Ray Media Server). You would need an access to root or administrator account on the hosting server.
• JRE (Java Runtime Environment) ver. 1.6 or higher should be installed.
•Ports 1935, 1936 and 5080 should be open on the server.
•Allowance of at least 15 KB/sec for media streaming for each user.

Could someone please look those requirements over and let me know if there are any problems attempting to use that before I try and set it up on a shared reseller server? Also would Windows or Unix work better?

Thanks!

The media portions won't work. Rest should.

VPS not at moment, but we do have non integrated VPS with windows, and additional options on that front are on the way.

The media portions won't work. Rest should.

VPS not at moment, but we do have non integrated VPS with windows, and additional options on that front are on the way.

Thanks Stephen,

I am assuming you cannot say too much yet as far as what those additional options might be....but can you say if they might include resellers? Any timetables?

Would it be possible to get all functions to work (including media) if current or future offerings for VPS was used?

Thanks!

I can't say much, but no I don't see anything in the VPS realm coming to reseller level or control, Hsphere has a new version coming out that we are keeping a close eye on; but it is just adding newer technology support on the base reseller/shared level nothing with VPS.

On a VPS linux, or with some mods windows(maybe Dolphin supports it looks maybe so with ffmpeg.exe mention) would work for it fully.

Back