Dont configure catch-alls this way!

tanmaya

APAC Operations
Staff member
Just a small request to all, while we say a big no to catch-all ( they just invite spam and eat your traffic). Dont configure catch-all that are set to "delete". This means you allow mailserver to receive hundreds or thousands of spam each day, process it completely and then delete it. This has been a major cause associated with recent mail1 problems.
While this is simply equivalent to no catch-all mailbox as in that case the mails will be denied at smtp session itself and you will save on mail traffic as well.
We will now look for such catch-alls and remove them unless you need them to be delivered, as they both conditions are same while the latter helps both you and us.

I use catch-all, but not in this fashion. I wish there was a way to use catch-all, but also specify mailboxes that you wish to be inactive so that mail sent there bounces back to the sender. If you can do this, please clue me in, as I've yet to figure it out.

The ability to add a mailbox that would respond with 'no such mailbox' would be a very good option. I like to use catch-alls as well, but as you say there's no way to stop processing of junk mail to particular addresses (other than accepting it and then deleting it). This adds to mail traffic, and makes it look to spammers like a genuine address.

For any non-existent mailbox, if there is no catch-all, the mail will be bounced at SMTP session itself with a message like "no such user".

tanmaya said:
For any non-existent mailbox, if there is no catch-all, the mail will be bounced at SMTP session itself with a message like "no such user".

Correct... but for those of us that use Catch-all it would be nice to have an exception list that would reject email to certain addresses.

So it would really be called a "Catch-all Except" mailbox.

Already told Psoft many times. Stephen has finally been successful to get them work on this. This may come in Hsphere 2.5.3 or 2.6 even.

tanmaya said:
Already told Psoft many times. Stephen has finally been successful to get them work on this. This may come in Hsphere 2.5.3 or 2.6 even.

Excellent news! Way to work your magic Stephen. :rockon:

Back