Downloading a database backup

SubSpace

Bass
I'd like to be able to download a full backup of my SQL Server database from time to time.
For example, when I want to make some changes to an existing site, I prefer taking the latest live database over an empty one, and restore that on my local staging environment.

I found an old post that referred to a backup.aspx and restore.aspx on the server itself, but it does not seem to work for my server (MSSQL12 on cluster 1). Is there some way I can accomplish this?

MSSQL12 moved to 2008 R2 with the crash, which we don't have for backup tool. you know we can do this anytime by ticket as well, as I am pretty sure you've done that before :)

I've evaluated options for it, and even some control panels have it, but both websitepanel and plesk don't seem to work well with the remote SQL servers, they work right for on the same server, but not remote ones and we like to run in a cluster type setup. Even with plesk servers here, the SQL is not on the same machine, just the way we do things, and prefer it since starting with Hsphere.

I'm not sure if I ever logged a ticket for it, but I would have tried that option. Of course, a self-service type thing would be more practical for everyone.
SQL backups are normally made to a local disk, I don't think it even supports network shares directly. Any remote tool would need to have access to that particular local disk, so that's probably why you have a hard time finding a tool...

Right, it is exactly the issue. We had a local tool on each but it broke with some .net updates and it isn't maintained anymore, and we don't have the source :(

I've tried some other ways and can do in a one off manner a bit of a workaround, but it is too intensive to do for every DB as auth etc are manually set.

Back