DreamweaverMX datasource RDS ColdFusionMX

?( I cannot connect to my MySQL datasource from DreamweaverMX using ColdFusionMX.

The host said they have removed RDS because it is a security problem.

Need help to develop with DreamweaverMX and ColdFusionMX using MySQL. ?

This is not an uncommon thing (to have RDS services disabled on a production environment).

First of all, let me ask a question - do you have a "local" box that you are using as a test server or are you simply writing code and uploading it to the host? In an ideal environment you should have a local setup for developing and testing your code and then the production environment stays safe from any possible bad code.

You don't have to invest any money in software to put together such an environment either - You can download Apache, MySQL and a demo or developer edition of ColdFusion MX ... all for free. You don't need much in the way of system resources to run it either. I personally have a dev environment running Apache, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server Developer edition ($49.95) and ColdFusion MX on my laptop so I can work from anywhere, with or without an internet connection.

That info aside, if you already have a local set up then you should be telling Dreamweaver to RDS to your local machine, not your host.

Welcome to the CF community! Post away!

Theres no real incentive or need to RDS into the database in dreamweaver. Just setup your datasource in the coldfusion admin. In cfqueries, put datasource="yourDSN" , that you setup in the cf admin. Then your code will have full functionality with your database. Then, for viewing/editing/whatevering your database, use the phpAdmin for mySQL in the jodo control panel, or mySQL control center (thats what i use mostly cause its quicker than a web front).

loislane said:
What I need to do is use Dreamweaver MX to connect to the datasource on crystaltech.com

The present response is that I cannot do this automatically with Dreamweaver because the host has disabled RDS. They say that RDS is an enormous security risk and will not allow it.

Other than handcoding the entire site, is there a way for me to use Dreamweaver MX with ColdFusion MX and MySQL with the conditions I have?
The folks at CrystalTech.com are entirely correct. RDS is a MASSIVE security hole, especially for a shared hosting environment. It does not take into account any kind of permissions for files and allows a user that is logged in to see the entire directory tree for the entire server. That is why it is blocked on almost 99.9% of production web environments as recommended by Macromedia themselves in the following TechNote:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/coldfusion/ts/documents/tn17276.htm

I am also a college instructor, I would not (and do not) let my student's code go directly onto a production box without first being tested on something that is not mission critical. Hell, I don't let my OWN code out to a production server without getting tested locally!

What you need to do is set up a development environment... see my previous post about that. If you're at a college I'm more than certian that there are spare computers lying around that could be used as a server. Every live environment that I have worked in has had such a set up, regardless of the programming language used. With hardware as inexpensive as it is today it's a no-brainer.

As for coding the site by hand, the only thing that not having RDS does is restrict your ability to have Dreamweaver do the dirty work of creating queries and showing you the results of queries. All of the other features of DWMX will work without it. Personally I trust my own SQL skills far more than Dreamweaver's.

Contact me directly if you have any questions about setting up a devel. box. My email address is [email protected]

I am using a hosting service for ColdFusionMX:
crystaltech.com

I have already set up a MySQL datasource on cyrstaltech.com

What I need to do is use Dreamweaver MX to connect to the datasource on crystaltech.com

The present response is that I cannot do this automatically with Dreamweaver because the host has disabled RDS. They say that RDS is an enormous security risk and will not allow it.

Other than handcoding the entire site, is there a way for me to use Dreamweaver MX with ColdFusion MX and MySQL with the conditions I have?

It would be a great challenge for Macromedia if their products cannot be made to work together.

I am an instructor in College and I need help to get this problem solved.

Back